The Blue Jays today announced the signing of Jon Rauch to a one-year, $3.5 million contract with an option year. The Rays had reportedly shown interest in Rauch. It is also worth noting that Rauch’s contract is almost identical to that of Kyle Farnsworth. [MLB Trade Rumors]

1. scmac says:

Is there even any viable relievers left on the open market? Rauch was the last of the relievers with any closer experience left. Somebody please tell me that Farnsworth wont be closing!

2. phil says:

nobody left ...farnsworth is your closer!

3. Gatorbuc15 says:

Yeah this sucks. I was hopeing to get him.

4. Charles says:

At this point, I'd guess it's Farnsworth, but I think the dark horse guy in this race is Adam Russell, one of the guys we got for Bartlett. The guy brings the gas but he has had control problems. If he can keep the walks under control in middle relief and Farnsworth isn't getting it done, I wouldn't rule out Russell getting a shot. That would also let the Rays turn McGee back into a starter if they wanted to, with Russell holding down the fort at closer.

5. Joe says:

This makes little sense to me. Hard to justify this. Let's root for a darkhorse!!

6. Tone says:

This year will suck. How can you pay Farnsworth 3.25? Saito and Rauch signed for cheap deals but not with us. Andrew Friedman has not delivered in my mind. I see so much faith in him on all the Rays blogs but if this is our bullpen for 2011 then it will be almost if not the same kind of pen as 2007. This sucks so bad.

7. phil says:

they should have given Rauch the money they gave farnsworth...McGee should be groomed to be closer...in 2012 ....

They now have the money (and no excuses) to sign Vlad ...,,give him $6M ...I think they are still under $40.0M in payroll...around $36M i think

8. Joe says:

As I said...None of this makes sense. They won't even be at $50 M after all is said and done. Waiver wire in Spring Training? Minor league invitees on the cheap? Not good at all and makes you wonder if priorities have changed again.

9. dustin says:

boooooo!

10. Mj says:

Now what?

11. Jason W says:

Both Mcgee and Russell are also options for closer, not just Farnsworth. Sh** we might just go closer by commitee like in 08. It's annoying having another platoon like situation, but it worked then, it might work this year.

12. phil says:

McGee should be the closer just not sure he will be ready or if it is smart to have a rookie close on opening day with little experience...