One of the more bizarre things to come out the Carl Crawford signing was hearing just how enamored the national mainstream media suddenly is with Crawford.
Don’t get us wrong, it is nice to hear the media speak so highly of such a great player. But they say these things as if they have known this for years. And yet, we barely remember anybody ever saying these things when Crawford was playing with the Rays and doing all these great things.
It is almost as if signing with Boston justified his greatness. Whereas, prior to that, he was not worthy of such praise, even if deserved.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Dan Hayes of the North County Times confirms our speculation, that the only thing holding up the Jason Bartlett trade is a physical for each player. [Twitter]
- Another name that is once again surfacing in connection with the Rays is Jason Giambi. Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post says he wants to keep playing and the Rays are interested. [Twitter]
- The Rays also lost four players in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 Draft including Heath Rollins who won’t miss us. [Rays Prospects]
- There was some speculation that the Rays and Cubs were closing in on a deal to send Matt Garza to Chicago. But Paul Sullivan reports that a deal is unlikely and that the Rays executives “were amused by the speculation.” This jives with the previous report that said the Rays would wait until July to move Garza. [Chicago Breaking Sports]
- Evan Grant wonders if the Rangers can buy low on James Shields right now. [SportsDayDFW]
- Hardball Talk examines Carl Crawford’s new contract. [Hardball Talk]
- Keith Law believes Carl Crawford will hold his value through the length of the contract. [ESPN]
- Chuck LaMar says Carl Crawford will do just fine in Boston. [Boston Herald]
- Rocco Baldelli says the Red Sox got a bargain. [Projo.com]