Carlos Pena’s days with the Rays are officially over. Ken Rosenthal, who apparently never sleeps, reported at 3:00 this morning that Pena has agreed on a contract with the Cubs. The deal is for one-year and $10 million.
The deal comes on the heels of Scott Boras’ second meeting with the Cubs last night. That meeting included Greg Maddux, a former Boras client, who was employed to help recruit Pena.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun says Nolan Reimold is not going to be traded. Several others have reported that the deal is now dead. [Twitter]
- Jon Heyman says the Rays could keep Jason Bartlett in 2011. If they did, there is a good chance he would be the highest paid player on the 2011 roster. [Twitter]
- WEEI is reporting that the Red Sox “have not ruled out” signing Carl Crawford. [WEEI]
- Jon Morosi says the Tigers are not “involved” in the Carl Crawford sweepstakes at his current asking price. [Twitter]
- Anybody anxious to see
Mark Hendrickson back in a Rays uniform? Jon Morosi says the Rays and Mariners are looking at Hendrickson as a relief pitcher. [Twitter]
- Jon Morosi says the Rays are one of two teams interested in relief pitchers Jeremy Accardo who made five appearances with the Blue Jays last season. [Twitter]
- Bill Chastain reports that the Rays are one of seven clubs that have shown interest in Rich Harden. [MLB.com]
- Joaquin Benoit was named this year’s recipient of the Tony Conigliaro Award. [mlive.com]
- Joe Sherman says the Rays have hired former pitching coach Dave Eiland to join their front office. [Twitter]