Ken Rosenthal takes a look at Grant Balfour’s situation and says it is only a small chance that he returns to the Rays.
Even though Balfour is a Type A free agent, Rosenthal notes that there are only nine teams that would lose a first-round pick for signing The Mad Australian. The top 15 picks are protected and several teams have already lost their first round pick by signing other Type A free agents.
As a result, Rosenthal believes Balfour will eventually land a multi-year contract with another team, his reason for declining the offer of arbitration from the Rays.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- It took Carl Crawford to reach out to the Rays and say “good bye” or “thank you,” but he finally bought them lunch, having Lee Roy Selmon’s delivered late last week. Roger Mooney also notes that Crawford still hasn’t mentioned or thanked Rays fans. We’re not holding our breath. We won’t bore you with the details, but based on our own experience, it does not surprise us in the least. One word: Bitter. [Rays Report]
- The Rays were reportedly one of three teams interested in Octavio Dotel, but now it appears he will sign with the Blue Jays. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- Alden Gonzalez says dealing Matt Garza is the best move for the Rays. [MLB]
- Marc Topkin assesses the roster and where it stands right now. [TampaBay.com]
- Dave Eiland, who was recently hired by the Rays to work in the front office, did a radio interview in which he sounds pretty bitter towards the Yankees for firing him. [ESPN New York]
- On the other hand, Dave Eiland is excited to be joining the Rays. [The Heater]
- Ken Davidoff lists the nine teams that the Rays are rooting for Rafael Soriano to sign with. The lists is composed of teams not in the AL East and whose first-round pick is not protected. [Newsday]
- Is Evan Longoria the most overrated player in baseball? [Splice Today]