Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe is reporting that Carl Crawford has agreed to a deal with the Boston Red Sox. The deal is seven-years and $142 million.

OK, Crawford was leaving. We could deal with that. The Angels, Tigers or Rangers? That would have been nice. The Yankees? Could have been fun seeing Crawford reach his full potential with such a historic and classy organization.

But the Red Sox? The nightmare scenario has come true. Seven years. In a Red Sox uniform. Fack the Heck. I think I just had a heart attack in my butthole.

Think about this. That is at least 63 games over the next seven seasons of Crawford kicking the Rays asses all over the Trop turf.

Happy. Happy. Joy. Joy.

1. Chris says:

Draft picks?

2. Greg says:

Boston was the only place Crawford could sign where I would actually root against him. I can't describe how much I hate the Red Sox. I think seeing the ridiculous dollars Crawford and Pena signed for makes it easier knowing we never had a chance to resign them. $20M a year for Crawford is ridiculous but I guess they can afford it. It was nice watching CC in a Rays uni, but now I can honestly say I will be rooting for him to suck massively.

3. John S says:

At least we got a healthy first round draft pick instead of nothing until the 2nd round....

We could rebuild this fast.. as this draft is very good

4. Drew says:

I'm not going to wake up tomorrow

5. What a waste of Crawford's talent.

• Scot says:

This is not certain. There may be shifting in the outfield to maximize his potential. It is not clear if the Red Sox have signed someone who has already reached his maximum potential and is likely to regress to his mean. His lifetime OBP is only in the 330's, not the numbers of the past 2 years (.364, .356) Indeed, we should "Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7:1).

6. Gatorbuc15 says:

Draft picks galore!

7. Tone says:

Horrible couple days to be a Rays fan. Don't see how this team competes anytime soon. I guess it makes sense to trade it all away at this point. Garza, Upton, and Shields should be dealt. Get the haul now. Maybe in 2 years we can have a competitive team again. Sad day for baseball.

• Joe says:

Now the insane Romano column makes sense (in a perverse way). If you think you can't compete (which is debatable), perhaps (thinking like the Rays) you should sell off anything of value and perhaps see where that takes you? If you can't get protection for Longoria, perhaps you simply restock?! I know that is insane, I certainly don't subscribe to it, but what do you do?

As far as Crawford goes, his defense will be ENHANCED in Boston. He and Ellsbury can position themselves where the only balls that may be a problem are shots to the "triangle" area (where the batting cage door garage is in CF). It is a sad day, but again, Frank Sinatra, and "My Way" comes to mind.

8. Joe says:

The Rays get Boston's 1st round pick. Now it makes sense for Boston to sign Balfour and take get a 2nd. Balfour just became more attractive to them because of the draft pick. Boston also nets a gain in the 1st round, losing their pick to the Rays but taking over Detroit's pick for Victor Martinez! Go figure!!

9. Sarah says:

It was too much to hope that Crawford would avoid both the Yankees and Red Sox. And at least with the Red Sox the Rays get a 1st round draft pick, which would not be the case had he gone to the Angels.

Seeing how much Pena and Crawford got is almost comforting to me -- it's not as though the Rays could have come close to competing.

10. Charles says:

This really sucks. Now I have to stop watching the local news or I will see 1134 games worth of CC Red Sox highlights :P.

11. Edward says:

The Rays are going to have a crappy season. Maybe a couple of crappy seasons. They trade Bartlett for Pitchers who just suck and Crawford betrayed me. Well another 100 loss season im predicting next year

12. JD says:

If you are reading this Carl, congratulations. You deserve it. Was a pleasure having you.

13. Alex says:

Totally agree with Cork. I had already accepted the fact that he was signing with the Yankees, Angels, Tigers, or Rangers and he still would have been my favorite player.... But this is a punch in the gut. And under no certain terms will I be able to cheer for him again.

This must be how the Sox Fans felt when Damon went to NYY.

Couldn't have happened any BETTER....
    Look at least 18 times a season you'll get to see one of the best players in baseball stick it to Stuie for NOT paying their best player when he had the chance (before 2010).....
    Watching Maddon's face... and occasionally Friedman when CC steals a base or gets a timely hit or robs them of hits ....
    WILL BE PRICELESS...
    Boston just pulled off the greatest sports signing since Larry Bird....out of college....GOOD for them!

• Scot says:

Greatest signing? No, that is still by the Rays of Longoria.

Christina Karhl has an interesting take:

Her view is that this means the Red Sox have put all their chips in the pot. If they don't win a WS in the next couple years, "the expense goes from luxury to handicap."

15. Brian says:

So when can we expect to see video of burning CC jerseys? Does anyone know what the Halos offered him? Yesterday was such a horrible day. I better make sure to keep my dog inside so she doesn't get hit by a car today.

16. Kelsey says:

I heard that the Angels really went low at about $108 million compared to Bostons $142 million. It is really sad to think of Crawford in a Red Sox uniform for SEVEN years! But you cant blame the guy. This is his job, he has worked hard over the years to get this big contract and I am happy he did.. its just hard to think of him on that team. I hope everyone is respectful when he comes and plays us at the Trop, well if anyone has money now to go to the games after the ticket increase. All this is sad, just sad. What has this team come to??!

17. Billy says:

Simply put, Carl Crawford was the greatest player in Rays' history. He did what almost anybody would do--he took the best deal, to guarantee financial security to himself and his family (possibly for many generations).

I, for one, will give him a standing ovation the first time I see him play. I will not root for him to do well--and I will clearly root against his team. But, I will thank him for his unparalleled contributions to the Rays' franchise.

Godspeed, CC. You will be missed.

18. Ragin Rick says: