With the Rule 5 draft pending, the Rays made some roster moves this weekend (via Marc Topkin). First, they declined the option on Jose Ruiz, who had defected from Cuba. Ruiz, 1B, was considered a hot commodity before signing a cheap one-year deal with a four-year option.
In addition, the Rays also added catcher Nevin Ashley and right-handed pitchers Alex Cobb, Dane de la Rosa and Albert Suarez to the 40-man roster.
Ashley hit .255 with a .333 OBP and 7 home runs for double-A Montgomery. Cobb was 7-5 with a 2.86 ERA (2.80 FIP) in 22 starts with Montgomery. De la Rosa went 9-3 with a 1.97 ERA (2.79 FIP) in 47 relief appearances in double-A. He struck out 75 in 73 innings. Suarez made 11 starts for low-A Bowling Green, going 2-5 with a 3.89 ERA (4.62 FIP).
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jon Paul Morosi looks at the market for Rafael Soriano. [Fox Sports]
- MLB Trade Rumors looks at the good and bad of Grant Balfour. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- Marc Topkin has the info on next year’s ticket prices. [The Heater]
- Former Devil Rays manager Larry Rothschild, has been hired by the Yankees as their new pitching coach. [The Heater]
- There is always something special about beating the 49ers. It reminds us of week 1 from the ’97 season when the Bucs had their coming out party. [Joe Bucs Fan]