Wade Davis finished fourth in the AL Rookie of the Year voting, won by Rangers’ closer Neftali Perez. John Jaso finished fifth.
Unfortunately, Peter Gammons’ preseason pick for the award, Sean Rodriguez, didn’t receive a single vote. Of course, he might have done better if he were actually a rookie.
Then again, Rodriguez didn’t do any worse than BJ Upton probably will do in the AL MVP voting. Yes, Upton was Gammons’ prediction for that award.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Sounds like it was just speculation, but in same Tweet in which Enrique Rojas of ESPN says the A’s have a lot of interest in Adrian Beltre, Rojas also asks “Victor Martinez with the Rays?” [Twitter]
- Do the Bucs really need 11 wins to get to the playoffs? Right now, there are four teams at 6-3 for the two wild card spots. And all four have similar tie-breaker marks. [Joe Bucs Fan]
- Is Carl Crawford the next Roberto Clemente? Baseball-Reference has made this comparison for a while. Now Ken Rosenthal writes about it. [Fox Sports]
- Gabe Lacques of USA Today says Carl Crawford’s future may come down to the Angels and the Tigers (our pick), but thinks the Angels need him more. [USA Today]
- Ben Jedlovec of ESPN Insider says Carlos Pena might be the most underrated free agent because of what he can do with the glove. [ESPN Insider]
- Bus Leagues Baseball spoke with the president of Minor League Baseball about a number of topics, including the future of Al Lang Field in St. Pete…Great read if you are into the minor leagues. [Bus Leagues Baseball]
- Baseball Prospectus breaks down Joaquin Benoit and looks at the teams that could use him in their bullpen. [Baseball Prospectus]