The Rays added former top pick-turned-delinquent-turned-pitcher Matt Bush to the 40-man roster to avoid losing him to free agency. Bush who was the top pick by the Padres in the 2004, was converted to a pitcher in 2007. Tommy John surgery shut him down until 2009, a year that saw Bush traded to Toronto, released by the Jays and arrested twice.
Bush appeared in only six games this year (all with single-A Charlotte), striking out 12 and walking 2 in 8 innings.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Leslie Anderson won Arizona Fall League’s Rising Stars Game with a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 9th. Here is video of the blast. [VIDEO]
- NESN says Joaquin Benoit would be a big addition to the Red Sox. [NESN]
- Ken Davidoff reports that some baseball executives think Carlos Pena will sign with the Nationals. [Twitter]
- Keith Law has Carl Crawford as the second best free agent available. Rafael Soriano (17), Joaquin Benoit (22), Carlos Pena (30) and Grant Balfour (35) are also in the top 50. [ESPN]
- Jon Heyman predicts the Angels will sign Carl Crawford and Rafael Soriano. [Twitter]
- The Bucs proved they are one of the best teams in the NFC yesterday, even though they lost. And the zebras didn’t help. [Joe Bucs Fan]
- DJ Jones, who was an 11th round pick in 2007, but who suddenly retired last Spring, will return to the Rays in 2011. [Rays Prospects]
- Creative Loafing examines the possibility of the Rays leaving the Bay Area. [Creative Loafing]
- Get Fit Now interviewed Mike Ekstrom about training to be a professional athlete. [Get Fit Now’s Blog]
- If Pat Burrell returns to the Giants in 2011, it would likely be as a backup. [Mercury News]