Now that the GM meetings are over we are two weeks from the winter meetings. Let’s recap all the Rays rumors we have heard so far. If there are any we are missing, please let us know in the comments…
- Crawford and the Angels are in “serious talks.” This comes after it was reported that Crawford was the Angels’ “primary target.“
- The Tigers reportedly have “big interest” in Crawford.
- Peter Gammons calls Crawford, the Red Sox’ “top target.“
- Joel Sherman said that the Tigers, Angels and Red Sox “will definitely” bid on Crawford.
- Ken Davidoff called Crawford, the Yankees’ “Plan B.” We heard earlier that the Yankees wouldn’t make a “hard charge” at Crawford, although one GM thinks the Yankees were faking their lack of interest.
- The Giants were supposedly going to “entertain the notion” of signing Crawford.
- Peter Gammons said the Red Sox would go hard after Crawford. However, a friend of Crawford’s said he would “need to be persuaded” to sign with the Yankees or Red Sox.
- Nick Cafardo reported that he Orioles, Giants and Nationals have shown “a lot of interest” in Bartlett.
- Jon Paul Morosi says the Orioles, Giants, Cardinals and Padres have shown “varied levels of interest,” and adds that a Japanese shortstop could impact the level of interest in Bartlett.
- The O’s and Rays discussed a trade centered around Bartlett and relief pitcher David Hernandez.
James Shields and Matt Garza:
- TR Sullivan reported that James Shields and Matt Garza are available.
- Andrew Friedman says he is not in a hurry to trade one of their starting pitchers.
- Ken Rosenthal says the Rays are in not likely to trade Garza.
- Shields is on the Rockies’ “fallback list.“
- Nick Cafardo thinks Pena could come back to the Rays on a one-year deal.
- Pena is just one of several first basemen that the Orioles are interested in.
- Pena said the ball is in the Rays court.
- Joaquin Benoit signed with the Tigers.
- The White Sox are said to be interested in Rafael Soriano.
- Marc Topkin said that there is a lot of interest in Randy Choate.
- Buster Olney said Upton is available and that rival teams don’t think it would take much to pry him loose.
- Ken Davidoff says Upton is not likely to be traded.
- Ken Rosenthal also says Upton is not likely to be dealt.
- May be retired and could return to the organization as a coach.
Players that could be coming to the Rays
- Johnny Damon – Ken Davidoff says the Rays are one of three teams Damon is interested in.
- Jermaine Dye – Ken Rosenthal reported that the Rays are one of several teams to contact Dye.
- Gregg Zaun would like to return to the Rays.