Sun Sports announced yesterday that Dewayne Staats will be back next season, but he will have a new partner. Kevin Kennedy is out, and Brian Anderson will now be Staats’ full-time partner.

Our feelings on Kennedy have always been that 90% of the time he offers insightful commentary. But the other 10% of the time is so horrific that you completely forget that you actually learned something from him most games.

 
 

14 Comments

  1. SLMcgee says:

    Just won’t be the same without his nose hair whistling in High Definition.

  2. Brett says:

    This is great news. I’ve grown tired of hearing Kennedy complain for 3 innings about one bad call. Anderson complements Staats nicely, bringing a young perspective to go with Dewayne’s veteran approach.

  3. Greg says:

    Staats is vanilla at best. He never seems to match well with any color announcer. Joe Magrane was exceptional, and that simply threw in stark contrast how little Staats had to offer. With Todd Kalas available and interested in play-by-play, it burns me that we don’t dump Staats immediately. Kennedy often predicts correctly what pitch will be thrown and occasionally when he’s wrong, the batter thumps one to the gap and it gives Kevin a chance to point out why the pitch he thought was coming would have been better. He knows both pitching and catching well and I feel like I’ve picked up a number of things from listening to him. As much as I like Brian Anderson as a person and a personality, I don’t think we’ll get much in the way of insight. He talks with less frequency and actually says even less.

    • Sandy says:

      “He talks with less frequency and actually says even less.”
      And that’s a bad thing???

      • Greg says:

        If you prefer silence, why not mute your TV? Anderson sounds like he’s reaching just to have something to say and it’s mostly obvious or cliched stuff.

    • Michael says:

      You’re crazy, Staats is awesome. Have you ever listened to other teams’ play-by-play guys on Extra Innings? Most are outright atrocious. If Staats isn’t the very best in the business, he’s right up there. I loved the Staats-Magrane combo, it was about the only thing we had to brag about for the first 10 years, and Staats-Anderson is the closest we’ll be able to come to matching that.

  4. Thank goodness. Kennedy is like a younger version of Tim McCarver. And just as annoying.

    • Beth says:

      I have to disagree — Kennedy is much worse than a young Tim McCarver. I used to listen to McCarver back when he was the commentator for the Mets, and I actually liked him. When he was covering one team, he knew his stuff, and had a sense of humor.

      Kennedy does make the occasional insightful point. And then he makes the same point again. And again. He has no sense of humor (hey, it is entertainment!) or sense of humility. Yeah, I guess you can learn something from him but it’s painful to do so.

  5. Mike says:

    Is it me or does he look like the type of guy with terrible breath?

  6. Gatorbuc15 says:

    How dare you all! This man is a HERO! He saved a jetliner for god sakes!
    And he was the best manager ever!

  7. Mike says:

    BEST. NEWS. OF. THE. YEAR.

    PERIOD.

    END OF DISCUSSION.

  8. D-Rome says:

    The Human Vuvuzela?!?! LOL for real! Honestly, I liked Kevin Kennedy.

Leave a Comment