Joe Maddon announced the rotation for all 5 games of the ALDS…
- David Price
- James Shields
- Matt Garza
- Wade Davis
- David Price
Shields for game 2?
The pros are his experience, his more than a run better home ERA, his 2.57 ERA in 2 starts versus the Rangers (which ignores the 4 unearned runs he allowed) and his 3.52 FIP at home.
The cons? EVERYTHING ELSE.
Still, no matter what you think of the decision, you shouldn’t be surprised. Maddon has always given his veterans the benefit of the doubt and Shields is one of his guys.
Let’s just hope the Rays aren’t down 1-0 heading into game 2.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Today is the last day to enter BJ Upton’s raffle to win his BRayser. [Upton Brothers [Upton Brothers]
- David Price is on the cover of this week’s Sports Illustrated. This is the third cover for the Rays. [The Heater]
- Carl Crawford is already talking about the Rays in past-tense: “I loved playing in Tampa Bay…I just didn’t want to leave St. Petersburg with any hard feelings.” [St. Pete Times]
- According to one projection analysis, the Rays will win the ALDS in 4 games and have a 56.6% shot at winning the opening-round series. [ESPN]
- Former Devil Ray Jorge Cantu will start in game 1 for the Rangers. [ESPN]
- Wait. Peter Gammons thinks the Red Sox are a more likely destination for Carl Crawford, than the Angels? Color us shocked! [WEEI]
- Would the Angels be willing to go to $20 million per season for Carl Crawford? [LA Times]
- Here is a look at how some local businesses will handle the Rays afternoon playoff games and whether employees will be allowed to attend. [Tampa Bay Business Journal]
- Sporting News explains why BJ Upton is the key for the Rays in the opening round. [Sporting News]
- David Price was named the AL Pitcher of the Month. [MLB]
- The Rays to Nashville? One writer says yes (they do already have teams in the NHL and NFL; thanks Michael). [Washington Examiner]
- Ken Rosenthal is “tempted” to pick the Rangers in the ALDS, but thinks the Rays will “find a way to win” (Video). [Fox Sports]
- Jon Paul Morosi calls Joe Maddon the perfect manager for Generation Y. [Fox Sports]
- Free tickets to game 5 of the ALDS? [RaysRev.com]
- Oh Jonny Gomes, we just can’t quit you. [XM MLB Chat]
- So the players were behind “DJ Kitty”? [St. Pete Times]