Today is the second anniversary of the greatest game in Rays history. Game 7 of the 2008 ALCS in which Matt Garza gave up just 2 hits and struck out 9 in 7 innings. And David Price earned his nickname by coming on to retire the final 4 outs, slaying Goliath. And the unsung hero of that game has always been Aki Iwamura who fielded a bad-hop grounder and ran to second base for the final out. If that ball gets past Aki, all of the sudden the Red Sox would have had the tying run at the plate and the top of the order due up.
What a hell of a night that was.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Dave Martinez was indeed granted permission by the Rays to interview for the Blue Jays managerial job...We really hope Martinez lands a managerial job, but we would prefer it not be in the division. He does know a lot of Joe Maddon’s tendencies. [The Heater]
- Was the Rays attendance this season really that disappointing?…We would say yes and no. We would have liked to have seen a boost over 2009, but by no means do we think it had to be as high as some seemed to think it should be. [Fox Sports]
- “But this is the story of the Joe Maddon Rays, a six-month season punctuated by six unnecessary and tedious lessons to the press and fans about their incapacity to apprehend an invisible sublimity of the game”…A must-read. [Et tu, Mr. Destructo?]
- 85% Sports ranks the Rays farm system as second best overall at the end of the season. [85% Sports]
- Have you had your Morning Cup O’ Joe yet? [Joe Bucs Fan]
- Guess who won again? [Joe Bolts Fan]
- Seth McClung had apparently had a chip on his shoulder while pitching here in Tampa Bay. [The Heater]