The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: A Last Goodbye? We may have seen Carl Crawford at the Trop in a Rays uniform for the last time. And that is horribly sad for us and many Rays fans. But a very big hat-tip to those that stood and cheered CC at the end of the game. And an even bigger hat-tip to the bleacher creatures in left field for chanting his name.
THE BAD: Derek Shelton. One of the most overrated coaching jobs in sports is that of hitting coach. But this has to change. And it must start with Derek Shelton. Period…James Shields. Who would have guessed that Shields would be undone by pickoff attempts and a home run. OK, we knew the home run would happen. But Shields may have missed two pickoff opportunities in the third when he held the ball. And when he did throw the ball, it got past Ben Zobrist leading to the first run for the Rangers…Check Swings. The way things are going for the Rays, you just knew that after the umpires missed the check-swing on Michael Young, he was going to get a big hit. That big hit was a home run, figuratively ending the Rays chances and literally ending Joe Maddon’s day (he was ejected).
THE TELLING: Joe Maddon was the first manager to be ejected during a postseason game since 2005 (Tony LaRussa). Ron Gardenhire of the Twins was also ejected last night.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays trail the Rangers 2-0 in the best-of-5 series. Game 3 of the series will be at Texas on Saturday, 5pm.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Evan Longoria talks about the Rays bouncing back in Texas (video). [The Heater]
- Carl Crawford on the fans chanting his name: “Today was really special…It was nice for the fans to give me that and I appreciated it.” [The Heater]
- Joe Maddon on Dioner Navarro’s decision to leave the team: “I’m surprised…and I’ll leave it at that.” [St. Pete Times]
- Hey, at least Josh Freeman doesn’t suck. [Joe Bucs Fan]
- Despite Gerry Hunsicker saying he doesn’t want to be a GM again, his name is believed to be on the Mets list of candidates. [SI.com]
- We’re not sure you need 5, but Big League Stew has 5 reasons the Rays are getting their arses kicked. [Big League Stew]
- Why would the Red Sox be interested in Dioner Navarro? [NESN]