click above image for boxscore

THE TELLING: The Rays announced that they will remove the tarp from the upper-deck at the Trop for the remainder of the playoffs beginning tonight…Ben Zobrist’s wife will sing the national anthem tonight.

WHERE THEY STAND: The Rangers and Rays are tied 2-2 in the best-of-5 ALDS. Game 5 is Tonight at 8:07pm.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• BJ Upton is offering an autographed t-shirt to the best sign he sees at The Trop tonight. [NESN]
  • Joe Maddon is leaning towards sticking with his right-handed hitters against Cliff Lee [St. Pete Times]
  • Here is a view from the upper-deck seats that were covered by a tarp. [Tampa Tribune]
  • The Rays like to farm in their sparetime. [Yahoo! Sports]
  • Here is a pic of David Price and his dog at The Trop yesterday. Price had to do some cleanup in the outfield at one point. [The Heater]
  • Johnny Damon says the Yankees should be rooting for the Rays tonight. [New York Post]
  • The Braves couldn’t even sell out a playoff game last night. Where is the national outcry? [Big League Stew]
  • ESPN Insider projects Carl Crawford and Desmond Jennings for the 2011 season. [ESPN Insider]
  • WDBB breaks down the Durham and Rays’ seasons by the numbers. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
  • Another grassroots campaign to move the Rays to Tampa has arisen. [Shadow of the Stadium]

Tags

1. Brixology says:

Alright, I’ll say it. I’m a little nervous about the national anthem. That is all.

• Dre says:

I’m definitely more nervous about Shoppach

• Huey Lewis says:

She has sung it before and I remember Zobrist responding with a big game at least 1 time. She’ll be fine, and maybe it prompt Zobrist to have another big game like he did in Game 1 against Lee!

• Beth says:

So can anyone research the Rays record when Julianna sings? We can decide then whether to worry.

• raysfan137 says:

I know last year we beat the Phillies 10-4 when she sang. I think that’s one of the nights Zobbie was Zorillla. I know she sang this season (in the last homestand possibly) but cannot remember the results.

• Namirsolo says:

She sang at a game that I was at in June vs the Diamondbacks. They won that too (and it was the only one they took in that series).

2. charleschCharles says:

Man, lots of hate for JZ here! Anyway, I am ready to win this thing.King David will bring it and Rays win.

• Charles says:

Man my mobile browser really mangled my last form fill-in up there.

Anyway, Bossman is also letting you enter the t-shirt contest if you’re not in Tampa Bay by making a sign with his Twitter handle, photographing it, and posting it on Twitter.

3. Gus says:

Dan Johnson has to play. I’d really rather see Matt Joyce in there over S-Rod.

I think Shoppach for Jaso is a mistake.

This is your season, the best players should play.

But I was worried about Maddon losing his clubhouse after the Game 1 and Game 2 debacle, and I guess those fears were not realized.

I feel like the Rays will win, just have a hard time imagining how it occurs. Suffice it to say, Kike Gibson Longoria needs to come up big.

4. Beth says:

A few random thoughts on the links provided above:

Re: BJ Upton’s t-shirt give away — cute idea, but exactly when is he going to have a chance to scan the bleachers for the best sign? Presumably when he’s playing center field his eyes are elsewhere, right? Also, isn’t it amazing that when the Rays are playing in the postseason to a packed house, NESN manages to still get in a dig about Rays attendance?

Re: Damon — I think we’ve just been insulted.

• Gus says:

Of course, it would help if NESN’s got the facts straight when asserting attendance superiority — the Rays clinched the AL East on the road at KC , not at home as they assert (confusing the wild card I suppose).

Funny that the Braves didn’t sell out given the fact that Game 4 was a chance for them to clinch coming off of the road victory in SF. No Monday walk up.

But we can blame the others all we want, when your own owner and your players are complaining about attendance and talking of slashing payroll, it is going to become an issue, even if home attendance tickets is a realtively small piece of the revenue pie (20% or so). The difference between the Yankees and everybody else in MLB isn’t attendance; it is local broadcast revenue. Local broadcast revenue where the Rays fall short because management cut a bad deal (because the team stunk) and has to live with it.

Minnesota, despite its new ballpark and record-setting attendance, is cutting payroll next year. How do you think that makes the taxpayers and fans of Minnesota?

• Beth says:

I can live with cycles of cutting payroll (and there’s a difference between “cutting” and “slashing”). It’s the actual bashing of fans that has, of late, annoyed me about the RFO – and I don’t think you find that kind of antagonism in, for example, Minnesota. Maybe it’s because they’ve already got their stadium. At any rate, I think the Minnesota fans are more upset about the recent cave-in to the Yankees than about next year’s payroll.

• Gus says:

At $50M, the Rays could basically keep everybody but CC and Soriano (assuming Pena comes back with an incentive-laden contract). No Burrell and his $9M.

I actually think they can keep the nucleus together at the $50M level. That isn’t the slashing people keep talking about. And with the young players they have, you’d have the chance to be better in a few spots.

That said, they need to win this year. Tonight is the night the home field advantage they workled so hard to get needs to pay off.