The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: 1,256. That is the number of regular season and postseason games Carl Crawford played in a Rays uniform. Last night sucked, but today we stand and applaud the greatest Ray ever. Thank you Carl. We’ll miss you.
THE BAD: Not How It Was Supposed To End. This team was not perfect, but there are certain things they are supposed to do well. They usually play smart baseball. They usually play good defense. And they usually shut the opposition down late in games. These are the things that a low- or mid-payroll team must do to win. And this Rays team excels in these areas. Usually. But last night, two runners scored from second on groundballs. Another scored on a throwing error. And the last two scored off of Rafael Soriano. This team wasn’t perfect, but this is not how they were supposed to lose a game…Cliff Lee. Let’s face it. All the mental and physical errors were just window dressing. This team was not going to beat Cliff Lee last night. Take the 4th inning. After overcoming the first ugly run, the Rays had just tied the game in the previous inning and were starting to gain a little confidence. Then the throwing error gave the Rangers the lead again. And how did the Rays respond? Rather than build on the previous inning, Carlos Pena, BJ Upton and Dan Johnson went strikeout, strikeout, strikeout. Game over.
THE TELLING: Rocco Baldelli threw out the first pitch…The Rays lost their last 6 games in which the opponent started a left-handed pitcher.
WHERE THEY STAND: On a golf course.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Evan Longoria talks about losing the series (Video). [The Heater]
- Kelly Shoppach talks about his rough night (Video). [The Heater]
- Joe Maddon would start Dan Johnson over Willy Aybar, but he wouldn’t start John Jaso over Kelly Shoppach? Yeah, that one is strange. [St. Pete Times]
- Joe Maddon brought tacos into the clubhouse prior to the game to help loosen the mood. [10 Connects]
- The Bucs TV ratings on Sunday were higher than ALDS game 4. [Joe Bucs Fan]
- Joe Maddon thinks the Rays can compete in 2011. [St. Pete Times]
- So, how long will fans have to wait until the Rays are this good again? [St. Pete Times]
- Some big names are starting to jump on the Bucs bandwagon. [Joe Bucs Fan]