Back in August, a batted ball struck a catwalk at The Trop costing the Rays a game. At the time we wondered if Major League Baseball would change the groundrules prior to the playoffs.

Now we learn that they have.

In a press release today, the Rays announced that MLB approved changes to the groundrules at The Trop. Now, any batted balls that strike either the A- or B-rings will now be declared a dead ball and “no pitch.” In other words, striking one of the two inner rings will now be ruled a do-over.

These changes do not affect balls striking the two rings that hang over the outfield (Rings C and D). Any batted ball that strikes those rings in fair territory will still be home runs.

It is nice to see that MLB finally made a necessary change before they were embarrassed in an important game in front of the entire country.

1. Charles says:

I know this is unlikely to come up at all, so it shouldn't bother me, but I really dislike this. I can't think of any other circumstances in which a batted ball in or out of the field of play doesn't end in some baseball result. Foul ball I could have handled, but this just bugs me.

2. Gus says:

Charles: Isn't this the same rule as hitting the speakers in the Metrodome and Astrodome?

Cork: Good work keeping the issue alive. This was one of the last idiotic decisions from the LaMar era that is finally overturned. I never understood the rationale for the rule, and it made the building and franchise subject to more ridicule than necessary. Just pointless. Glad that the Twins catwalk game didn't end up costing us anything.

• Charles says:

In the Metrodome, that was only if it was foul territory. Not sure about the Astrodome. But in any case, you're correct - at the very least, this is not unprecedented.

3. Gatorbuc15 says:

I'm glad to see this rule change. The last damn thing we would need to have happen is another Kubel-esk play to cost us a game in the post season.
    Will this rule extend to the regular season next year Cork?

4. JP Grace says:

I honestly thought you were kidding when I first read it on twitter and I laughed out loud. Knowing that it's for real doesn't make it less silly sounding though I do actually think its the right thing to do.

5. Jim says:

I read on one site that Wednesday and Thursday are already sold out, but I haven't seen that anywhere else. Does anybody else know if this is true?

• Beth says:

That's what I've read, too, although I'm sure there's a big secondary market on Stub Hub, especially now that we know these are afternoon games.

6. sunrisejeff says:

Good to see them address this issue. You hear that Twinkies??? No cheapies for you if we meet next round lol!

7. The Trop says:

Finally glad to see the franchise do right by me with the rule change. Those comments from Uncle Joe hurt my feelings back in August.

And thanks to the fellas for including my picture on the t-shirts for the division title. Good to be loved after all these years.

8. Breazzy says:

Owa, what gives, trying to catch a pop-up that bounced off a catwalk brings fun into the game, like us kids catching a ball off a house...