When the Rays sold out the tickets for games 1 and 2 of the ALDS, few considered that the games might actually be held in the afternoon. As it is, TBS has the final say, and not surprisingly, they chose to air the Yankees and Twins opening round series in primetime.

Unfortunately for many fans, they are now stuck with tickets to games they cannot attend.

Can anything be done. Maybe, but it is unlikely.

This seems like the perfect opportunity for the cities of Tampa and St. Pete to come together and show joint-support for the Tampa Bay Rays by declaring city half-holidays on Wednesday and Thursday.

It would be an amazing gesture of goodwill between the two cities towards a team they always seem to be passively fighting over. And it would go a long ways to earning some goodwill among the voters. And it would help generate a lot of buzz for a team that sorely needs it.

So c’mon Mayors Pam Iorio and Bill Foster. What could it hurt?

1. Joe Rays Fan says:

Doubtful Pam Iorio could name three Rays plays.

• Blake says:

Pam Iorio is an avid rays fan. My family has season tickets in 101 and I see here attending the games all the time.

• Blake says:

Pam Iorio is an avid rays fan. My family has season tickets in 101 and I see her there attending the games all the time.

2. Joe Rays Fan says:

Whoops, meant “players.”

3. Sarah says:

I completely agree. And I’d like to see local businesses show some support, too, by giving employees with tickets the opportunity to attend at least one of the games without hassle (the article you linked to suggested that’s not the case).

And really, who cares if Iorio can name three Rays players? Following baseball is not a requirement for a mayor; she can seize the opportunity to make a plug for regional cooperation and community spirit even if she can’t explain the infield fly rule.

4. Jim says:

I like this idea, hopefully something like this happens.

5. Wait, I thought Iorio was a Yankees fan. Maybe she can give the night shift workers time to watch their game.

6. Dave says:

This would be a great idea, but I’d be pretty mad if I was a business owner in St. Pete or Tampa. Especially in this economic climate, it is still tough to make profit for small business days, and it’s not worth it to allow my employees to take off for an ALDS game. Don’t hate me, but I had to say it.

7. yobuc says:

Seriously folks, if it was a night game, there’d be bichting. If if was a day game, there’d be bichting. All of this shows this area as Single A league, at best.

Geo. Stein is gone… maybe Iorio’s pay train is gone…she may be softening up ole Stu. Sten for a new sugar daddy!

9. Matt says:

Wouldn’t this holiday only spread to government based jobs, not private businesses so people would still have to go to work