The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
The Rays sent double-A reliever Matt Gorgen, to the Diamondbacks as the player-to-be-named-later in trade deadline deal. Gorgen had 22 saves in 42 appearances with a 1.65 ERA (3.40 FIP). He struck out 47 and walked 21 after being named the Rays top minor league reliever in 2009.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Charlotte Stone Crabs repeated as FSL South Division champions (see below). They will play the Tampa Yankees in the Championship starting Friday.
- Jeremy Hellickson picked up yet another award. This time he was named the minor league pitcher of the year by The Sporting News. [Sporting News]
- The Bucs practiced in The Trop? (Video) [Joe Bucs Fan]
- Carl Crawford talks about how he has adjusted his game after moving to the 3-hole in the lineup. [Tampa Tribune]
- Attendance in Major League Baseball is down across the board. [Biz of Baseball]
- Buster Olney writes about John Jaso’s unusual ascension to the lead-off spot. [ESPN Insider]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM 6, Louisville 2 (series tied 1-1, best-of-5): Aneury Rodriguez went just 2.2 innings, walking 5 and giving up 2 hits. He only allowed 1 run…Joe Dillon and Leslie Anderson had back-to-back RBI singles in the first. Dillon added another RBI single in the 5th.
- CHARLOTTE 2, Bradenton 1 (Charlotte wins series 2-1): Alex Colome started but was pulled after just 1.1 innings having allowed only 1 run…Frank de los Santos relieved and tossed 6.2 shutout innings…A bases-loaded single by Matt Hall (2008-10) followed by a walk by Chris Murrill (2009-35) score the 2 runs for Charlotte.