The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: The Bullpen. The relief corps has been just as bad as the starting pitching this month. But after Jeff Niemann gave up the Mariners’ 3rd run in the 6th inning, the bullpen took over and shut the M’s down. Four relievers combined to throw 3.1 scoreless innings, allowing just 3 baserunners and only 1 baserunner into scoring position…Top O’ The Order. Big night for Jason Bartlett and BJ Upton who were on base 7 times combined, scoring 3 runs.
THE BAD: Evan Longoria. Dirtbag wasn’t in the lineup last night with what is being called a strained quadriceps. Joe Maddon has already said he will not play this weekend and could return “by the middle of next week.” Let’s hope this isn’t something that is going to linger as some muscle injuries tend to do.
THE TELLING: Rafael Soriano 44th save is a new franchise record breaking Roberto Hernandez’ mark set in 1999…Sean Rodriguez made his first start at 3B in the big leagues…The Rays 63 runs scored at Yankee Stadium this season, was the most since the 1959 Red Sox (thanks Ryan)…The Rays gave Matt Garza a motorcycle in recognition of his no-hitter…According to CoolStandings.com the Rays have an 80.9% chance of winning the division.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 92-61, a half-game ahead of the Yankees and 7 games ahead of the Red Sox in the Wild Card. After 153 games in 2008, the Rays were 92-61.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Rafael Soriano talks about picking up his 44th save (Video). [The Heater]
- Wade Davis will not be moved up from his Monday start…Also, Joe Maddon said he wants to get Dan Wheeler, Brad Hawpe and Rocco Baldelli more involved in the last 9 games. [St. Pete Times]
- As it stands now, David Price is the scheduled starting pitcher for the final day of the regular season. But as Tom Verducci writes, don’t look for King David to make that start even if the division title is on the line. [SI.com]
- Carlos Pena says not to blame the pressure of playing with free agency looming. [Tampa Tribune]
- Don’t count on the Mets to pursue Carl Crawford according to Andy Martino. [Daily News]