The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Rocco in Right. Rocco Baldelli got his first start in the outfield this season, making one nice running grab and going 2-3 at the plate. He still seems like a longshot for the postseason roster, but if he can play the outfield, it certainly opens the door to the possibility…Series Win. For just the second time in the Rays 13-year history, they won the season series against the Yankees. This one was important as the win gives the Rays the tie-breaker in the division should the Rays and Yankees finish the season tied atop the standings…Yankees Flag Is White. With the score 10-3 in the 8th, Joe Girardi did something we’d only expect from Joe Maddon. He threw in the white towel by pulling every hitter from the lineup before the 8th inning. With the division title and homefield advantage on the line and with such a potent offense, we were surprised by the move…Magic Numbers. The Rays magic number is now 4 to clinch a playoff spot.
THE BAD: Price-Sabathia II. Sequels rarely live up to the hype of the original and this one was no different. While David Price fought through 6 tough innings, giving up a 2-run home run to Marcus Thames, he outlasted CC Sabathia who finally fell apart in the 7-run 7th inning.
THE TELLING: The Rays are also 1 game behind the Twins for the best record in the AL. The Rays do hold the tie-breaker over the Twins having won the season series 5-3…Carl Crawford is hitting .333/.379/.526 batting third this season, compared to .299/.353/.480 batting second.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 91-61, one-half game behind the Yankees (tied in the loss column) and 7 games ahead of the Red Sox in the Wild Card race. After 152 games in 2008, the Rays were 91-61.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- BJ Upton talks about last night’s big win (Video). [The Heater]
- Wade Davis will either be used in relief this weekend or he could have his next start moved up. [St. Pete Times]
- According to an informal poll by Jayson Stark, Carl Crawford is the overwhelming choice as the top free-agent position player this winter. [ESPN]
- Well, it wasn’t as spectacular as the last time David Price and CC Sabathia matched-up, but prior to the game Mark Simon wrote about just how special this matchup was. [ESPN]
- Crisis averted at One Buc Palace, kinda. [Joe Bucs Fan]