Stephen Vogt (By Nick Martinez, Charlotte Stone Crabs)
Image at right is of Stephen Vogt during game 2 of the FSL playoffs (photo by Nick Martinez, Charlotte Stone Crabs)
THE GOOD: BJ Upton. His 3-run home run that gave the Rays a 4-0 lead should have been good enough. It wasn’t.
THE BAD: Matt Garza. His offense staked him to a 4-0 lead in the 2nd inning. That should have been game over for a pitcher like Garza. But we don’t call him The Garza Complex for nothing. He immediately gave back 2 runs on an Adrian Beltre home run and then the next inning, the lead was gone after 2 solo home runs. And then, after the Rays took the lead back, 5-4, he gave up another solo home run. In all, he gave up 4 home runs, and 6 runs total. He struck out only 1 batter.
THE TELLING: Monday’s matchup at the Trop will feature David Price going against CC Sabathia in a battle of two Cy Young frontrunners.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 84-55, 2.5 games behind the Yankees in the East and 6.5 games ahead of the Red Sox in the Wild Card (7 in the loss column). After 139 games in 2008, the Rays were 85-54.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Matt Garza on his home run derby performance (Video). [The Heater]
- Jeremy Hellickson picked up his second minor league player-of-the-year award. This one from USA Today. [USA Today]
- David Price and Rafael Soriano are #2 and #3 in the ESPN.com Cy Young predictor. [ESPN]
- David Ortiz on where Carl Crawford will play next season: “The Yankees…That’s the team that’s going to pay him. Either the Yankees or Anaheim.” [Fox Sports]
- Joe Maddon says Jeremy Hellickson’s recent struggles are the result of not getting enough work. [St. Pete Times]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- Louisville 8, DURHAM 4 (L’ville leads 1-0, best-of-5): Richard de los Santos was pounded for 7 runs in 5 innings on 8 hits and 3 walks. The big blow was a 3-run home run in the 6th inning that put the game out of reach…Leslie Anderson drove in 3, including a 2-run home run.
- CHARLOTTE 10, Bradenton 2 (Series tied 1-1, best-of-3): Joe Cruz (2007-30) was the game 1 starter and he struck out 7 while walking only 1. He allowed 2 runs on 7 hits in 6.2 innings…Stephen Vogt (2007-12) had 2 doubles and drove in 3 runs…Tim Beckham (2008-1) went 2-3 with a triple, walk and an RBI.