The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: David Price. There was a time when David Price couldn’t hit 96 with one pitch. But last night, his 100th pitch was 96 mph. That was just the most obvious example of how Price got stronger as the night moved along. It started with 2 walks in the first, in which 10 of his 19 pitches were out of the zone. But in the next 7 innings, he threw only 20 balls…Ralph Soriano. He didn’t have the good stuff to start the 9th. Of his first 11 pitches, only 1 was greater than 93 mph. The 11th pitch was smacked for a 1-out triple. But then MFIKY found an extra gear. The next 10 pitches were 94-96 as he fought back to retire the last 2 batters and seal the win.
THE BAD: New Faces. Joe Maddon decided to go with his triple-A lineup, by throwing Dioner Navarro, Brad Hawpe and Desmond Jennings straight into the mix. It was a rough night, as the trio went a combined 1-10 with 6 strikeouts, leaving 9 runners on base. Brad Hawpe went 0-4 with 4 strikeouts, including a curious situation in which Joe Maddon left Hawpe in with 2 outs in the 8th and the bases loaded against a lefty.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 82-51, 1 game behind the Yankees and 7 games ahead of the Red Sox in the Wild Card. After 133 games in 2008, the Rays were 82-51.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon on why the game-ending flyball was able to be caught by Carl Crawford: “I thought it was going to hit a catwalk…and because I think the building and I have made up since my last outburst…and for that reason alone, the ball avoided something.” [Sun Sports]
- Matt Moore is the first minor leaguer to strikeout 200 batters in a season since Francisco Liriano in 2005. [MiLB]
- Seth Livingstone points to the Rays bullpen as a huge reason for their success this season. [USA Today]
- The businessman that wanted to move the Rays to Orlando, now is trying to lure the Tampa Yankees to a proposed stadium in Orlando. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- WDBB has a link to Dan Johnson being interviewed following the announcement that he was named the IL MVP. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
- One fan explains why the Rays new tiered pricing (and other factors) are hurting attendance. [Technorati]
- Here is a Fox13 report on Ben Zobrist teaching baseball to some local youngsters. [My Fox Tampa Bay]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Bobby Livingston gave up 2 runs in 7.1 innings. He struck out 4….Elliot Johnson went 2-4 with a double to raise his average to .316.
- MONTGOMERY: Josh Satow (2008-25) made his first start of the year and gave up 4 runs in 3 innings.
- CHARLOTTE: Joe Cruz (2007-30) picked up his 13th win with 6 shutout innings. He struck out 10 and walked 2. His ERA is now 2.85…Tim Beckham (2008-1) went 2-4 with an RBI.
- BOWLING GREEN: CJ Riefenhauser (2010-20) made his first start since being promoted and pitched 4 shutout innings, allowing 1 hit and a walk, striking out 3…Mark Thomas (2006-22) went 2-4 with 2 RBI…Ty Morrison (2008-4) had a single and 2 walks. He also stole 2 bases and now has 55 on the year.
- HUDSON VALLEY: James Patterson (2010-18) struck out 4 and walked none in 6 innings. He gave up 1 run on 3 hits.
- PRINCETON: (season over)