The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Wade Davis. That was as good as we have ever seen Dig Dub’s fastball. 81 of his 101 pitches were fastballs, topping out at 97mph and getting 6 swinging strikes. Is there any doubt who the 4th starter would be if the playoffs started today? As good as Jeff Niemann was in the first 4 months, there is a very real chance he will not be on the playoff roster…Brad Hawpe. If he is going to have one moment, he picked a pretty good one, hitting a grand slam in the 4th making the score 6-0. And the rout was on…
THE BAD: None
THE TELLING: The Durham Bulls will play the decisive fifth game of the IL first-round today at 5:05pm…The Rays extended their player development contract with the Bowling Green Hot Rods through the 2012 season…Rafael Soriano is one save short of the franchise record (43) held by Roberto Hernandez.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 86-55, one-half game behind the Yankees in the East (tied in the loss column) and 8.5 games ahead of the Red Sox and White Sox in the Wild Card (9 in the loss column). After 141 games in 2008, the Rays were 85-56.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Brad Hawpe talks about yesterday’s win (Video). [SunSports]
- Wade Davis killed a bear. Seriously. [The Heater]
- The next 3 weeks will be a little like Spring Training as several postseason roster spots will be up for grabs. [St. Pete Times]
- We are not sure what the Rays attendance and stadium issues have to do with the playoffs, but whatever. [ESPN]
- David Ortiz thinks the Rays should give Rafael Soriano an extension. [RaysRev.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 8, Louisville 1 (series tied 2-2, best-of-5): Paul Phillips pitched 5 shutout innings, striking out 6 and walking 1…Jake McGee (2004-5) pitched 1 scoreless inning of relief, striking out 2…Chris Richard led the offense with a 4th inning grand slam. He drove in 5.
- Tampa 7, CHARLOTTE 2 (Tampa leads 2-0, best-of-5): Jake Thompson (2010-2) gave up 4 runs in 3 innings…Tim Beckham (2008-1) was 0-4 with a strikeout…Stephen Vogt (2007-12) had a single and a triple.