For those hoping that the Rays would wait until winning the division to celebrate, prepare to be disappointed

Clinching a spot in the playoffs will be a big deal — and a wet-and-wild one — for the Rays, who are poised for a champagne celebration as soon as tonight…”Absolutely, because you always celebrate achievement. Always,” manager Joe Maddon said. “Your first born, bar mitzvahs, first communions and clinching playoff berths all should be celebrated.”

And with the Red Sox not playing until tonight, don’t think that will temper the celebration either. According to Marc Topkin, the Rays are planning a “late-night gathering of the players.”

1. Blake says:

I still hope the players are rooting against the Yankees tonight…they need to keep perspective.

2. Sarah says:

I still think it would show some class to hold off. Esp if a celebration tonight means they all drive back to the stadium at midnight. Holding off shows they are confident there will be other, bigger things to celebrate.

3. Carey says:

Me, I’d rather wait a day to party and see the Yanks fall 3 back (I don’t count 1/2 games in September).

4. The BIZ says:

I was semi worried about this. I remember one year the dodgers lost the final game to division rival and lost the division and got wildcard, and there statements were “only ones to not celebrate”. they were swept that year. that celebration can be an energy booster into the first round.

Oh great… a “druken celebration” that starts at midnight before a three game series with the “hot” Orioles…to see who is AL east champ.!… Sounds like a good idea to me……what?
    I’ll get drunk (again) when/if they win the AL east….
    That is/should be the goal/accomplishment!

6. MJ says:

I think a tempered celebration is def in order. But I’d like to think the guys on the team would be driven and focused enough to make sure its not a “get home at 5 am w/ strippers in tow” kinda celebration.

Well we don’t have to worry about any celebrating from Rays on Sun….Maddon took care of that with his I’ll play anyone I want…Division race or not…. I’m the boss!