Joe is still violently slapping his glove and yanking his shirt tail out of his pants over this win by the Rays tonight.

Joe could go on and on about how MFIKY was nearly dominant. Joe could be utterly giddy over the clutch power hitting of Dan Johnson. Joe could also high-five Merlot Joe for getting launched after the umps did their best to get the Yankmees a win.

But no! Joe has to type words about the return of James “Big Game” Shields! What a performance. This is the guy that is supposed to be the Rays ace. This is the guy who is supposed to be the stopper. This is the guy who was supposed to be the veteran leader of the starting rotation.

Has he returned? Joe sure hopes so. If this can be a turning point in the season for Shields, Joe is quite confident late-October baseball will be played at the Fruitdome.

Just a great, great win with too many positives too highlight for the first place Rays. But Joe will end his gleeful rant with this nugget:

Joe hopes Derek Cheter contacts some unfortunate medical ailment from that TV cheerleader he shacks up with.

1. Gatorbuc15 says:

I believe Jeter deserves the Oscar for “Best Actor of The Year”. That performance even put Russell Crow’s acting job in “Gladiator” to shame. But thanks to Dan and excellent pitching, it didn’t matter.
    Great game, great win!

1st place baby!

2. Tone says:

Shields did a great job. He stuck it to the Yankees and all of us naysayers. Fantastic. Jeter is a tool, I hope this season reflects the trend for the rest of his career. Unlike most people out there, I cannot stand him and hope his numbers keep dropping for his last years while he soaks up huge chunks of their money. Hopefully he starts losing more defensively too, turning him into a high cost liability. He pulled an AJ White Sox type dirty trick, I hate that shit. That is why I hate soccer and the NBA, bullshit acting for your favorite ref or in this case ump, looking like little brats not sports stars. Unlike Maddon, I would not like to see the Rays pull some garbage like that.

• Gatorbuc15 says:

LOL! I hate that a$$hole to. Derek Cheater baby. :)

• James says:

In an interview after the game he admitted that the ball hit the bat first. He was then asked if he shook his arm because of vibration or acting. He said vibration… and acting. Hopefully this type of thing brings more evidence for replay.
        I just watched the highlights again on ESPN and Stuart Scott calls DJ Don Johnson…

3. sunrisejeff says:

Great game……great series! Just got back from the Trop and this was by far the most electric series I went to this year. Had to buy my buddy 4 shots after the game though cause I foolishly doubted the greatness of Dan freaking Johnson hitting another 2 run jack. So hyped…..can only hope the 4 game series in NYC is this exciting! G’night and Go Rays!

Looks like we found our 1st baseman for 2011…DJ has an “iron will” to perform when needed….Goodbuy Carlos!
    Jeter was just doing his JOB…that is to get on base so his team can score…don’t be pissed at HIM….be pissed at the stupid UMPIRE that went for the acting and made a mistake!
    Maddon you do good work from the clubhouse…wonder if Martinez made all those pitching chances…lost in all the heros was Balfour….good job!

• d-money says:

It’s not Jeters “job” to lie and say he got hit with a pitch when he didn’t.

That is cheating.

It’s one thing if they think he got hit and he stands there and doesn’t say anything. It’s a completely different story if he actively tries to make them think he got hit when he knows he didn’t. If you can’t get on base the right way then you don’t deserve to be there. I would expect more from Derek Jeter.

I wish Soriano would have put a fastball right in his ribcage in the 9th so he could be reminded what it feels like to really get hit by a pitch.

5. Dew says:

Hey Joe. Didn’t you say Dan Johnson wouldn’t be a factor this year when I was screaming for the Rays to bring him up? Wrong.