Joe wonders what Joe Maddon had to say to bitter Matt Garza after giving him the hook in the sixth inning after 98 pitches, one run and pretty darn good command.

Is this what the postseason will look like? Or will Maddon give his playoff starters more rope?

Forgive Joe for being assumptive with the playoffs, but there’s no way the Sox are making up seven games with 28 to go.

“It’s not you, Matt. But the computer said to take you out, son. You can’t mess with what’s working. … I love you.”

All in all, a pretty typical Rays win in Baltimore. Bullpen was lights out, a couple of bats stepped up, and murderers row (Pena, Joyce and Johnson) didn’t kill the good guys.

Joe’s resigned himself to the fact that Rays fans are just never going to know the soul of this team until October. Although Joe is one of the guys that hits a 9 in the confidence poll.

On a side note, Joe had the unfortunate experience of listening to the end of the Yankees game on local radio in Tampa today. The unmitigated arrogance flowing through the airwaves was astounding, especially considering Joe expected a lot of that was coming.

Joe’s never been more motivated to win the East.

1. Gatorbuc15 says:

F### the Yankmees! You hear me Joe?! F###'em!
    Those bastards will learn sooner or later that we are for real! They still seem to think that we're still the sorry a$$ Devil Rays, and that no matter what we do we will always suck! So they're just gonna have to learn the hard way that we are LEGIT!
    Like you Joe, I really want to win the AL East! Just to spite those monkeys!

2. Gatorbuc15 says:

As for Joe taking Matt out in the 5th, I actually liked the move. Matt was up around 100 pitches, and showed signs of losing his control. When Matt walked the last hitter he faced, even though the Oreos suck, 1 bad pitch and 1 good swing could have tied the game up.
    So I'm actually a little glad he pulled him when he did. He showed signs of fatigue with runners on base, and he was still in line for his 14th W. So I view it as good smart move by Joe tonight.

But that's just me. :)

3. Alex says:

Are you serious? Why risk Garza's arm for a game that we essentially had locked up? Of course he won't pull the starters like this in the playoffs. I'd rather him be protective with them and keep them all healthy rather than let them go unnecessarily.

4. JoeRaysFan says:

You're so sure he wouldn't have pulled Garza if this was Game 2 of the divisional round?

5. James says:

I think he didn't want the same thing that happened to Neimann happen to Garza. He hadn't been pitching Garza-like. He was throwing a ton of offspeed and couldn't locate his fastball. We had a 3 run lead, and Joe has confidence in his bullpen. I don't think Garza would have started the 7th anyways. If the bats hadn't disappeared it wouldn't have been an issue.

6. zenny says:

Don't the Rays have the ability to stop jankees games from being broadcast in this market, or at least stop an out-of-market MLB broadcast from competing directly with their own games? I thought they did, but just this week, I was tuning my radio to the Rays game and dialed past a simultaneous NY game on 1040AM.

Even though jankees ratings are minuscule in comparison (they probably lost 25% of their local listeners when "the boss" took a dirtnap), that's just unacceptable.

• JoeRaysFan says:

Don't know the rules/restrictions on those Yankees broadcasts, but I'm sure there's no audience of any significance. Plus most of the games are at night when that station is at low power.

• Amanda says:

I think during the Peter Gammons flap that Cork found out that the Yankees games are pulling a zero rating on that station.

7. Connie says:

Did anyone else feel like soriano should have been saved for more of a save situation - 1 or 2 run lead? I hope he doesn't get overused and fatigued

• KillaTapes says:

A 3 run lead is a save situation. I think you sort of have to use what works there, rather than mess around with someone else who could very easily let them back in it.

8. Amanda says:

1) "You can just tell that the grating Suzyn Waldman and company just think the Rays are nothing more than a nice story simply to keep the final weeks interesting." That's what the Red Sox and Yankees thought in 2008. Let 'em think it.

2) Maddon has a quick hook if you're shorter than 6'7".

THe Yankee "showdown" comes this month...with the two teams meeting 7 times...the Yankees are not going to get beat by lesser teams (Tor./ Bal)... so basically it is up to the Rays to win this showdown....5 out of 7...Rays will win the division...anything less... something drastic would have to happen...ie. Rays win 12 in a row..or Yankees lose 6/7 in a row...won't happen
    ...so the SHOWDOWN is here...starting Sept 13th at the Trop!

10. I don't mind the quick hook in this case as it was the orioles and we pretty much have the playoffs locked up. i say get them 5 innings in and get them out of there. we need garza in october.

11. Tone says:

Zobrist needs to start having some bench time. He has sucked this year, even BJ looks better at the plate right now. I would rather see Reid or S-Rod, they are upgrades on both offense and defense. Maybe if he sits out some games it will light a fire. Walking alone does not work in my book. I want to see some hits. I think he only has a couple hits in the last 3 weeks. He is awful right now. If this is how he is going to be the rest of the way, we need to play other guys. Jason has had some bench time, why not Zobrist? I do not see him putting anything together accept more SUCK.