The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Ho Hum Hellboy. Another brilliant start for Jeremy Hellickson. His fastball did not have the same pinpoint control as only 28 of 47 were thrown for strikes. But the changeup and curve were great. He got 6 swinging strikes on changeups and another 2 on the curveball. And in the end, it was 1 run on 3 hits. He struck out 5 and walked 1…Rafael Soriano. MFIKY hasn’t been his normal dominating self in the second-half. And the last thing in the world the Rays needed at this point was a blown 9th inning lead to the Orioles. Soriano came in and sat the O’s down 1-2-3 to close out the game…Carl Crawford. Three more hits, including his 13th home run to get the Rays off to a good start in the first.
THE BAD: Young Arms.Jeremy Hellickson might only make one more start before the injured pitchers return. But is there any doubt that Hellickson is one of the Rays 2 or 3 best starting pitchers right now?
THE TELLING: Carlos Pena is expected to be back in the lineup tonight…According to CoolStandings.com the Rays have an 85.9% chance of making the playoffs. The Red Sox are at 15.3%…If the Rays go 23-22 in their final 45 games, the Red Sox would have to go 27-16 in their final 43 just to tie.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 71-46, 1 game behind the Yankees and 5 games ahead of the Red Sox in the Wild Card (6 in the loss column). After 117 games in 2008, the Rays were 71-46.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- JB Long spoke with Jeremy Hellickson following his latest performance (Video). [Bright House Sports]
- Chairman Emeritus (official title) Vince Naimoli has put his Lake Magdalene home up for sale. So if you have $11 million just laying around, Naimoli has a deal for you. [Block Shopper]
- Speaking of Vince Naimoli, former “Hit Show” member Jose Canseco has signed as a player-coach for the independent Laredo Broncos. [Laredo Broncos]
- Joe Maddon admits he believed Pat Burrell would have been more successful with the Rays if he was given a chance to play defense more often. [St. Pete Times]
- On Saturday night, Rocco Baldelli was in Connecticut to root on his younger brother in the regional little league championship (they lost). [Pawtucket Times]
- Joe Henderson argues for keeping Jeremy Hellickson in the rotation. [Tampa Tribune]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Brian Baker allowed 3 runs (1 earned) in 6 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 2…Desmond Jennings (2006-10) went 1-3 with a walk. He is hitting .290…Leslie Anderson was 0-4 with 2 Ks…Rocco Baldelli (2000-1) did not play.
- MONTGOMERY: Alex Cobb (2006-4) gave up 1 run in 6 innings, striking out 4 and walking none…After 3 games in Durham, Emeel Salem (2007-6) was back with the Biscuits and went 2-4 with a walk and 3 RBI…Matt Fields (2004-44) hit his 11th home run.
- CHARLOTTE: Carlos Pena had 2 singles and an RBI in 3 at bats…Kirby Yates made his first start since being promoted and gave up 3 runs on 6 hits and 2 walks in 5.1 innings. He struck out 3…Jake Jefferies (2008-3) doubled and homered in 3 at bats. It was his first home run of the year…Tim Beckham (2008-1) went 1-4 with 3 Ks. He also committed his 22nd error.
- BOWLING GREEN: Jason McEachern (2008-13) gave up 8 runs (3 earned) on 4 hits and 5 walks in just 2.1 innings…Ryan Wiegand (2009-25) went 3-4 including his 8th home run…Tyler Bortnick (2009-16) was 0-4, but walked and stole his 38th base.
- HUDSON VALLEY: James Patterson (2010-18) struck out 4 and walked none in 5 innings. His one blemish was a solo home run. He now has a 2.25 ERA in 20 innings…Nicholas Schwaner (2010-30) was on base 5 times with 3 singles and 2 walks. He also stole his 12th base…Mayobanex Acosta hit his 4th home run.
- PRINCETON: Enny Romero struck out 9 and walked 2 in 5 innings. He gave up 3 runs on 4 hits…Kevin Kiermaier (2010-31) went 2-4 with a double and a walk. He is hitting .304.