The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
Here is today’s GBT: Jeff Niemann suuuuucccckkkkked. Nothing else as we are making our last trip to The Trop before October. Unfortunately, my sister will be joining me. She was born in Boston, likes the Red Sox. Even has a tattoo. So if anybody wants to come join us in making fun of her…
THE TELLING: Jeremy Hellickson is scheduled to pitch in relief today for Charlotte…John Jaso played first base for the first time in the big leagues. He had previously played the position in the minors, but not since 2005.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 78-49, tied with the Yankees for first place in the AL East. Both teams are 5.5 games ahead of the Red Sox (6 in the loss column). After 127 games in 2008, the Rays were 78-49.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Red Sox shuffled their rotation moving Jon Lester back to face the Rays on Friday. [NECN]
- Marc Topkin writes about John Jaso’s move to first base and the Red Sox playoff hopes. [St. Pete Times]
- Manny Ramirez went on waivers yesterday and now there is some speculation that he will clear waivers without being claimed. That would give the Rays the option to trade for Manny. How fun would it be if this all happened in time for Manny to be in a Rays uniform against the Red Sox this weekend?
- Jeremy Hellickson is one of 5 finalists for the minor league player of the year. [USA Today]
- If you have some free time, please read this interview with Fernando Perez. If we had a choice of anybody in the organization to have lunch with, ‘Nando Calrissien would be second only to Joe Maddon. [Indy Week]
- Matt DeMargel writes about the man many think is the next Rays pitching coach, Xavier Hernandez. [Durham Bulls]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Ramon Ortiz made his second start with Durham and gave up 5 runs in 6 innings. He struck out 3 and walked 1…Desmond Jennings (2006-10) went 0-4 with a walk. He stole his 35th base…Elliot Johnson went 2-5 to raise his average to .322. He also stole 2 bases and now has 30 for the year...Chris Richard hit his 16th home run.
- MONTGOMERY: Alex Cobb (2006-4) struck out 13 and walked 2 in 6 innings. He allowed 4 runs on 5 hits. His ERA is now 2.93 and he has 113 strikeouts in 107.2 innings…Henry Wrigley (2005-14) went 1-5 with 4Ks.
- CHARLOTTE: (double-header postponed)
- BOWLING GREEN: Wilking Rodriguez held Lake County to 2 runs in 5 innings, both on solo home runs. He struck out 1…Dustin Biell (2007-5) hit his 3rd home run.
- HUDSON VALLEY: Miguel Sierra allowed 2 unearned runs in 6 innings. He struck out 1 and walked 3…Nick Schwaner (2010-30) went 4-5 with 5 RBI…Derek Dietrich (2010-2) was 2-3 with a double and a walk. He drove in 2 and is hitting .297.
- PRINCETON: Eliazer Suero gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in just 2.1 innings. He struck out 5, but walked 4…Todd Glaesmann (2009-3) was 2-4 with a pair of doubles. He is hitting .236.