click above image for boxscore

Here is today’s GBT: Jeff Niemann suuuuucccckkkkked. Nothing else as we are making our last trip to The Trop before October. Unfortunately, my sister will be joining me. She was born in Boston, likes the Red Sox. Even has a tattoo. So if anybody wants to come join us in making fun of her…

THE TELLING: Jeremy Hellickson is scheduled to pitch in relief today for Charlotte…John Jaso played first base for the first time in the big leagues. He had previously played the position in the minors, but not since 2005.

WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 78-49, tied with the Yankees for first place in the AL East. Both teams are 5.5 games ahead of the Red Sox (6 in the loss column). After 127 games in 2008, the Rays were 78-49.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• The Red Sox shuffled their rotation moving Jon Lester back to face the Rays on Friday. [NECN]
  • Marc Topkin writes about John Jaso’s move to first base and the Red Sox playoff hopes. [St. Pete Times]
  • Manny Ramirez went on waivers yesterday and now there is some speculation that he will clear waivers without being claimed. That would give the Rays the option to trade for Manny. How fun would it be if this all happened in time for Manny to be in a Rays uniform against the Red Sox this weekend?
  • Jeremy Hellickson is one of 5 finalists for the minor league player of the year. [USA Today]
  • If you have some free time, please read this interview with Fernando Perez. If we had a choice of anybody in the organization to have lunch with, ‘Nando Calrissien would be second only to Joe Maddon. [Indy Week]
  • Matt DeMargel writes about the man many think is the next Rays pitching coach, Xavier Hernandez. [Durham Bulls]

DOWN ON THE FARM

• Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
  • DURHAM: Ramon Ortiz made his second start with Durham and gave up 5 runs in 6 innings. He struck out 3 and walked 1…Desmond Jennings (2006-10) went 0-4 with a walk. He stole his 35th base…Elliot Johnson went 2-5 to raise his average to .322. He also stole 2 bases and now has 30 for the year...Chris Richard hit his 16th home run.
  • MONTGOMERY: Alex Cobb (2006-4) struck out 13 and walked 2 in 6 innings. He allowed 4 runs on 5 hits. His ERA is now 2.93 and he has 113 strikeouts in 107.2 innings…Henry Wrigley (2005-14) went 1-5 with 4Ks.
  • CHARLOTTE: (double-header postponed)
  • BOWLING GREEN: Wilking Rodriguez held Lake County to 2 runs in 5 innings, both on solo home runs. He struck out 1…Dustin Biell (2007-5) hit his 3rd home run.
  • HUDSON VALLEY: Miguel Sierra allowed 2 unearned runs in 6 innings. He struck out 1 and walked 3…Nick Schwaner (2010-30) went 4-5 with 5 RBI…Derek Dietrich (2010-2) was 2-3 with a double and a walk. He drove in 2 and is hitting .297.
  • PRINCETON: Eliazer Suero gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in just 2.1 innings. He struck out 5, but walked 4…Todd Glaesmann (2009-3) was 2-4 with a pair of doubles. He is hitting .236.

Tags

1. Charles says:

My buddy and I will make up for your sister on Sept. 7th at Fenway, he in his Longoria shirt & me with my Pena shirt. Although I sometimes bust out the Greg Vaughn jersey as well to fend off the “bandwagon fans” contingent.

• brian says:

I’m heading up to Boston with 13 buddies for the Ray-Sox series Sept. 6-8. We’ll more than make up for your sister. Go Rays!

• Justin H says:

I live in Boston and bought tickets for all 3 games in that series so I’ll be there with you either in my Longoria shirt, Crawford shirt, or I might break out my Gabe Gross shirt for some 08 magic.

2. smelpy says:

charles, i’m pretty positive i’ll be going to the sept 7th game at fenway. look for me :P

and cork, i will sit down with your sister, have a heart-to-heart.

yesterday’s game made me sick. yuck.

• Charles says:

Definitely! I work at MIT, so I’m gonna try to walk over immediately after work for some pregame good times among the Pink Hats :)

• smelpy says:

okay so go to the link my name has (my twitter page) and click my fb page and add me (if you add fb) so we can work out something later this week.

• Charles says:

I’m the only person on earth without a Facebook account I think, but I am following you on Twitter now (@charleschr), so we’re on for meetup!

3. Joe D. says:

It’s hard too make fun of bad tattoos in Tampa/St Pete area. I saw a beer vendor at a Rays game earlier this year that had a Tasmanian Devil/Buccaneers (new, flag) Logo Tattoo on his calf.

4. Sarah says:

Some games just need to be forgotten. Running through my mind around the time Neimann gave up the grand slam was the John Lennon song, “Nobody told me there’d be days like these.”

But then, Cork, you linked to that wonderful Nando Perez article and the loss felt like ancient history. I don’t think that lovely man will ever be a major league player unfortunately — he was a marginal prospect when healthy and at this point even he says he’s playing A-level ball (talk about refreshing honesty). But can we take a moment to appreciate a fine athlete who also attends John Ashberry readings and enjoys a good gazpacho?

5. Chris says:

Xavier Hernandez leaving the Rays system to coach baseball at Houston Baptist University. No interview available, just an announcement via Stacy Long (who else?).

6. sunrisejeff says:

I feel your pain Cork. My sister and her husband are big Sox fans as well, his family is from there, so these series are always interesting. One of my greatest joys is getting my nephews to wear Rays gear in front of them.

7. Gatorbuc15 says:

Hah. I think Jeremy Hellickson will definitely be the Minor League rookie of the year. I highly doubt anyone else will win.

Also, I wanted to point out that I hate everything NECN. Rem Dog makes me wanna punch him in the face every time he talks.
    F### NECN and F### the Red Sox!

• smelpy says:

try living up here. it’s torture.

• Gatorbuc15 says:

Well I live in Virginia, and trust me when I say that, there are a SHIT LOAD of Red Sox and Yankee fans (my friends included) here! And I am about the only F###### Rays fan for 300 miles! So it’s not much fun for me either.

Hard to say anthing good about that disaster…Maddon waving the white flag early probably puts some cracks in his forever optimistic attitude..
    Oh, hopefully Maddon/management is getting clued into the worth of Jaso….I have said this before..he has to be in our lineup with his bat/smarts…Rays work on a long term deal for this kid…he is a keeper..that will only get better!

9. MJ says:

Prof, that mockumentary u posted of living life off the league minimum salary w Nando was hilarious. I’ve been a fan since. Dude could be in a sitcom.