Well, if you thought the Rays use of TAMPA Tarpons jerseys tonight wasn’t a none-too-subtle shot at the City of St. Pete, we now present exhibit 2. Todd Kalas conducted his first in-game interview tonight in the 3rd inning. And his subjects? A group that calls themselves the “Tampa Natives.” Coinkidink? We think not…

Next up: St. Pete Mayor Bill Foster will use this screengrab as evidence that Tampans can indeed find their way across the Howard Frankenstein bridge.

P.S. We are not even going to touch the obvious Village People jokes.

1. Joe says:

Serious, and I mean serious wedge driving right here, and everyone is in on it. If I am the Mayor and the city council, I would visit all my options. This in a perverse way can make St. Petersburg look sympathetic in the cause here. They are the ones who want to be a regional team, yet don’t have Tampa Bay on the road unforms yet have TAMPA on the home uniform for this crap! Bizarre and just weird

2. Gatorbuc15 says:

Are sure we’re not going to touch the odvious Village People Jokes, Joe.
    It’d be pretty fun! YMCA all day!

3. Joe says:

Eh…That wasn’t the first thing I thought of. Your comment brings levity to what is otherwise a slap in the face to a regional effort. Before anyone comments that it was a throwback game, I think Cork made a solid effort of dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s why there are implications beyond it.

Oh well, time for the laughs and the beer, I suppose! :)

Tampa people come to games, they can wear whatever they want, and they can be interviewed on TV…so what’s the story?

5. Jama says:

As a Tampa native that also happened to be at the game last night, I am offended at this article. My husband and I come to the games as much as we can. You make it sound like people from Tampa think they are too good to cross the bridge. I happen to think there is nothing wrong with Tropicana Field and enjoy going to the games there. I would be sad if they moved to an outdoor stadium no matter where it is. And you can hold the Village People jokes. They happened to be in concert there last night. Or were you not there to know???

• Cork Gaines says:

Well, I’m sorry this piece offended you so much. I never said nobody from Tampa ever goes to the games. But every time we write about a new stadium or about attendance, the number one complaint from people east of the bay is that it takes too long to get there or else they’d go more often.

And you must be new to these parts, or else you would know that we have long defended the Trop as a VERY underrated baseball experience.

And yes, we knew The Village People performed last night, we were the first website to report that even before the Rays made the official announcement.

But thanks for reading, glad to have you stop by. And we hope that if you give us a chance you will become more familiar with the sarcasm and dark humor.

• Jim says:

If you like the Trop, then you should be pissed at the Rays, not Cork. They are the ones that planned “Tampa night” just weeks after basically telling St. Pete “F-you, we’re moving to Tampa whether you like it or not.”

6. Joe says:

Piece was not intended to be offensive, in my estimation. There is a backstory here, and its coming out to the forefront. Jim is capturing the essence of my thoughts. By not having “Tampa Bay” on the actual road uniforms yet having the Tarpon ROAD jersey at home no less, there is something peculiar about their intent.

The Rays talk themselves about unity, but have gone well out of their way to stick it to St. Petersburg. And it goes beyond the columns of this site. Don’t shoot the messenger here. The Rays lack of execution is substandard and what is offensive here, both on and off the field. Their management team has flat out lied and refused to answer questions about their road uniform set, when they said from the beginning it would be a one year deal. It is functional and suits them to divide fans and divide interest in the team as their lawsuit (or St. Pete’s) will be filed this November

7. Cork Gaines says:

I apologize to everybody about the language used by commenter “zzzzz.” I happen to know for a fact that zzzzz is a Red Sox fan which of course explains a lot. But don’t worry, zzzzz will not be back.

Anyone who has to resort to street language to TRY to make a point has “street” mentality…basically stupid!
    Sort of like BJ’s base running….bet you a $100.00 BJ can not spell “base runner”….