We will never get tired of hearing other players complain about playing in The Trop. This one comes from Lance Berkman who struggled defensively in the Rays win over the Yankees on Sunday (thanks Beth)

Before this weekend, Berkman had played at Tropicana Field only once, in 2008, but that was enough to convince him that he does not enjoy playing here…“I don’t like this field,” Berkman said. “I don’t think it’s a very good surface for baseball. That having been said, I didn’t get any bad hops. It was just not the most comfortable first base.”

Making excuses Lance? The fans and media in New York are going to have a field day with you.

1. McLovin says:

Carlos Pena’s gold glove begs to differ.

2. Rytor says:

That’s like, they were talking on the Yankee broadcast how A-Rod’s day off was partially because of “the turf” – but he plays on dirt. John Flaherty said he caught here for 5 years and never once noticed a difference with the dirt between the Trop and any outdoor stadium. BS excuse if you ask me.

3. Jim says:

“It was just not the most comfortable first base.”

Is that why you didn’t catch that soft liner, because of 1B being uncomfortable?

4. Haha! I love it when opposing players blame everything and everyone else. How about James Shields was too good for them that day and Berkman is slow and old. He looked like some of the softball players in my league.

5. Gus says:

“I’m not comfortable playing with a spare tire around my midsection.” Lance Berkman.

Batting that guy 2nd instead of Swisher was the kind of managing that all Rays fans can applaud.

The Yankees are old. The Rays are young and hungry. I like our chances in the playoffs with those guys, especially if the Rays can get home field. Winning the division in crucial. The Rays must focus on that.

Congratulations to the Rays players for playing an outstanding series against a team of hired guns and huge egos. Congratulations to the fans for showing up and being loud and a huge factor. That was the best baseball every played in the Trop. Just fantastic.

6. Pendulously says:

Wasn’t there a new surface put down? What year was that? Before or after his 08 trip into the Trop?

7. Gatorbuc15 says:

Ha Ha! OK Lance. And I guess you just being a sucky 1st baseman has nothing to do with. I guess Carlos just got really lucky when he won that Gold Glove. Very sligh “Old Puma”, very sligh indeed.

Now shut the hell up!

8. sunrisejeff says:

Very curious to see how Lance handles the media scrutiny in NY. Going to be a lot different than being the longtime favorite in Houston…..