During Joe Maddon’s post-game Q&A last night, he may have taken a moment to send a message to his own players by praising the hustle of Vlad Guerrero during a blowout…

Also, I just want to say something about the Rangers. In the eighth, was it the 7th inning? [Ed. not: it was the 8th inning with the Rangers trailing 10-0] Vladimir’s last at bat. That groundball to shortstop. Did you see how hard he ran to first base? It was absolutely magnificent. And I’m just pointing it out because that needs to be pointed out, just for baseball players in general. I’m talking about little leaguers watching. Guys in college whatever. And of course major leaguers and professional players. I’ve seen Vlady do that. I’ve seen Jeter do that. I thought it was fantastic.

We don’t think JoeMa was necessarily taking a shot at his players for not hustling. Rather, we think he was just taking a moment to remind his guys that even a superstar like Vlad the Impaler never takes a play off. Let’s hope the message gets through.

1. Joe D. says:

A good point by Maddon, Rangers weren't playing for much, from what I've heard Vlad's knees are pretty much shot these days, but he was playing OF, giving Hamilton a night off and running out founders in the 8th.

This is the reason Maddon haf Cliff Floyd in '08, and without that kind of veteran guy on the Rays anymore, good job by Maddon in pointing it out and showing what he expects to see on a baseball diamond.

2. Gus says:

Couldn't help but laugh that the Rangers CF was loafing as Jaso chugged around the bases on his misplay of the bloop by Evan. Kind of Upton-esque it is causal ness (not to get on BJ, who is having a fine month).

Vlad was also running crazy hard on his triple. Maybe he is auditioing for a futre DH role in Tampa Bay?

3. Joe D. says:

I love to see him as Ray, he's a pure old school baseball, been around Maddon before, had shown he can DH, good fit... I wouldn't expect the same year out of him as this year, but he'd sure be an upgrade....

4. Gatorbuc15 says:

Vlad has always been one of my favorite players! He always shows the most heart and hustle of any player in baseball. It's just ashame that he can't run nearly as fast anymore. But that's because he played the first part of his career in Montreal. Te Expos probably had the worst astro turf in sports history!

Hey boys..... Kaplar is gone.... who's place ...could this guy take on the Rays....are you out of you mine..with these over the hill bull sh-t players?

6. David says:

Every team needs role players of different kinds. Vlad over Hill could easily spell Kaplar. I can't believe we are actually comparing these two players. Vlad was someone, Gabe is few years out of a retirement as a career role player.

7. Razzlegator says:

Vlad DHing here; I'd be in heaven. That guy can hit a ball off the top of his shoetops for a HR with his eyes closed. Oh please, please.

• Razzlegator says:

And talk about a teaching moment to no one in general, but everyone in particular, priceless.