We get a lot of tips from readers about players and their after-hour activities. It is hard to verify the rumors. But there are patterns, and it is easy to believe that there is a core group of players that very much likes to participate in the Bay Area’s nightlife during the season.

That being said, there is one player that we have never heard associated with those rumors: Carl Crawford. Not once.

Dave Wirth of 10 News (WTSP.com) asked Crawford about his in-season, post-game habits (click here to read the entire interview)…

“We play 162 games, there’s no time to get into trouble. I go home, go to sleep and get some rest. I don’t understand how guys do it anyway. I know there’s a lot of temptation out there, but I do a good job of just going home, resting and getting ready for the next game.”

Evan Longoria may be the team leader in the eye of the public, but it is too bad more players don’t follow the example of CC.

1. Joe D. says:

I think that this is why if the Rays can find any, any, way to keep CC around they need to explore that possiblity. I know it doesn’t make much sense to lock a “speed” guy up long term, but I think that he of way more than just that, he’s on, and off the field leader and leads by example.

Given his baseball aptitude I’d be more surprised if, when CC begins to lose a step in speed, he didn’t reinvent him self. I actually think that we are in the beginning phases of that process this season.

2. Katie says:

I like Carl Crawford, he has speed and he and Longoria always seem to work hard off the field with their traning. And what Crawford’s doing right now by just going home and going to bed helps him improve for the next day. Which is what a lot of the players should be doing instead of partying all night.

As for Evan being a partyier, I actually heard a story about Longoria through my brother through ESPN Radio. He said that Longoria goes to bars by himself, has two or three beers, watches MLB network at the bar. Then goes home. My brother also said that women are afraid to go talk to him because he’ll end up rejecting them. I don’t know if there’s any truth to that. But that’s just what I heard.

But anyways back to the real story, Hopefully the Rays resign him because he is a true leader, on and off the field. Just like Longo(from what I hear)

• Cork Gaines says:

Joe Maddon actually told a story once about how he walked into a local restaurant one night by himself for dinner and saw Longoria sitting at the bar by himself. JoeMa said he joined Evan at the bar and they ended up having dinner together.

• Katie says:

Yeah I heard about that, Maddon said that they talked about how he wanted to get the team back to the World Series and what not. They had dinner for 45 minutes from what I heard. Then again, Im just a naive Longoria and Crawford fan if you know what I mean.

So, who are the core group of players that like to party it up after a game?

3. John S says:

Katie who do you think…

I have a hint.. He is the 2nd best baseball player in his family

4. John S says:

Evan does goes out and it depends who he goes out with

• Katie says:

I know that, but you don’t hear about him partying every night do you?.
      I mean when he has friends in town, of course he’s going to party. I can see that, but when he’s by himself. He’ll just go out for a few beers then go home and rest.

5. Gatorbuc15 says:

Carl has always been a great team leader, and an all around good guy. A story like this only supprots that even more. Unfortunately, other players on the team, not all of them, don’t follow his example.

Just another reason, among many, why the RAYS must find a way to keep Carl.

• Brad says:

The guy refuses to lead-off and either refuses to play CF or whines about when he does. I’d hardly call that being a great team leader.

• Beth says:

To the contrary, I’d say he’s someone who knows his own strengths and weaknesses.

• KillaTapes says:

I like Carl just where he’s at and how he’s used, however, I’m not sure I would call it a case of “strengths and weaknesses”. Carl hits for average, works good at-bats, has speed and can knock it out of the park- all great traits for a leadoff hitter. It always seemed to me he just plain out doesn’t like hitting lead-off for whatever reasons.

I hear stories from my idiot friends all the time about players
    out drinking…but they also claim to have seen Tiger and OJ Simpson (after a few)…so whatever…but
    Last week..after the game on Thur at 12:10 (noon) more than one girl got on live radio the next day and told this story:
    Longo & BJ were suppose to show up at a bar in channel side from 9pm to 11pm…the girls both said they didn’t show up till 11pm… and they had been out already……… (supposedly drinking)….the girls left the bar in the wee hours and Longo & Bj were still there….toasted and hustling!

7. Gus says:

Is CC married or have a significant other? Kind of funny that after following the guy for 8 seasons and him being my favorite player, that I know nothing about the guy other than he’s from Houston and used to winter in Phoenix with some workout facility. Not even sure if he’s a Pinellas or a Hillaborough guy.

Evan, BJ, Garza, Shields are all much more public.

8. Danny says:

who cares what they do after the game!!! let them party!!! most of them are in their early-mid 20′s and they all play a game for living – how many of us went out on work nights in our early 20′s – got bombed, came home late, but showed up for work the next day and were none the worse for the wear…heck, how many of us still do that now??

im pretty sure I don’t want people following me around after work to see if i’m already preparing for the next day – didn’t David Wells throw his perfect game w/ a hangover??? not like these guys are brain surgeons – let the boys be boys!

GO RAYS!!!!

• Joe D. says:

Dock Ellis threw a no hitter, on lsd, and thought Jimi Hendrix was batting with a guitar, and Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire. He also died by age 63…

9. Sublime says:

I’m kind of in the same lane as Danny, as long as it doesn’t interfere with your job, do what you want. That lifestyle will definitely take a toll on you, but most people who went to college did the exact same thing.

CC reminds me of Darrell Green. Darrell Green took care of himself, no late night partying, ect) and he was able to play into his Late 30′s early 40′s. I’m not trying to turn CC into a Saint or anything, but the night life will whoop ya ass, just ask John S…lol!

10. Namirsolo says:

Who cares what they do when they’re not playing as long as it doesn’t effect their game? Shouldn’t they be allowed to relax and have fun in whatever way that they see fit?