Peter Gammons weighs in on the possibility of the Dodgers placing Manny Ramirez on waivers and how the Red Sox might react to the possibility of the Rays putting in a claim…

…if [Ramirez] gets back on the active roster and they put him on waivers, do the Red Sox put in a claim to block him from going to Tampa? My guess is they would say no. Theo [Epsetin] and Ben [Cherington] would be down on the ground saying, “Please, Kenny Williams. Put in a claim.” … It’s a tough question because it may be that Manny doesn’t realize that he has to play and perform to get another contract. We have no indication that he’s understood that after three trips to the disabled list this year. If he does figure that out and goes to Tampa and has a great month of September, he’s exactly what Tampa needs. This is like the Red Sox worst nightmare. Can you imagine Theo saying, “Should I press the yes or no button on waiver claims on Manny Ramirez?”

It would certainly be an interesting dilemma for the Red Sox, but we are not as convinced that the Rays would claim Manny. Even though there is just over a quarter of the season remaining, any team that claims Ramirez would still be responsible for over $5 million remaining on his $20 million salary. That is a big risk for a player that has been on the DL three times this season and played in only about half (61) of the Dodgers game. He is hitting .317 with 8 home runs and a .409 OBP in that limited action.

The Rays already proved that they would not sacrifice prospects for a shot at “going for it” this season. Manny wouldn’t cost the Rays any prospects. But he could still be beyond Andrew Friedman’s allowance.

1. I love the thought of CC, Longo, Manny, Pena in the middle of the order. Nobody to pitch around.

I think the only way the Rays get Manny is if he clears waivers and the Rays/Dodgers work out a trade that includes salary relief. But, wow! I'm pretty sure Manny would scare the crap out of anyone the Rays have to play from here on out.

• Cork Gaines says:

Don't get me wrong. I'd give up some of my allowance if it meant bringing Manny in for the stretch. The problem is, if LA puts him on waivers and the Rays make a claim, I wouldn't be surprised if LA just let's him go without a trade. And at that point the Rays are responsible for all the remaining salary. Sure they'd prefer a trade with salary relief but that wouldn't be up to the Rays.

• Thad says:

Not trying to be argumentative here, but can't Dodgers/Rays have those conversations before the claim is placed? "Hey Dodgers, if he gets all the way thru to us (Rays) would you consider taking Player A and Player B in return for eating some cash? Otherwise we're not going to place a claim." By the time he would get to the Rays, the only other team behind them is the Yankees and I don't see them placing a claim. Then at that point they would work out a trade with another team to unload Manny anyway.

• I meant if he *clears* waivers. What I'm suggesting is that the Rays *don't place a claim on Manny, hoping nobody else does either. Then, once he clears waivers, he would be eligible to be traded to anyone. That's the scenario I was pitching.

2. Sublime says:

M. Weber, I was thinking the exact thing! If you put him behind Longo that would finally give this man some line-up protection!

3. Thad says:

The Dodgers can A) pull Manny back if claimed, B) let him be claimed outright if claimed or C) they can also try to work out a trade with the claiming team whereby (hypothetically) the Rays could offer a few prospects in exchange for the Dodgers eating some more of the contract.

Not saying it's likely, but it is another possible scenario. And I don't think the Rays would have to give up too much to get the Dodgers to eat another $2 or $3 million.

4. MJ says:

I personally would not be at all surprised if sternberg gave Friedman the green light to claim manny if it got to that point. I'd think it would totally be worth the 5 mil. This would seem to qualify as one of those rare "soriano" type instances where things just fall into place for them and they take the plunge. Imagine how much more intimidating that lineup would look w manny sandwiched between longo and Pena/Joyce.

5. brian h says:

Cork,

How does it go with waivers because, if the white sox have priority over the rays, i dont see him getting through to us because in the episode of "the club" you could see kenny williams was searching big for a bat. and he is known to making moves like this.

• Cork Gaines says:

Yeah, I would be surprised if he got past the White Sox. Only way it would happen is if the Sox suddenly lost 4-5 in a row and fell out of contention before Manny came off DL/went on waivers.

6. Gus says:

Cue John McEnroe: "You cannot be serious!"

Manny hasn't had a hit since June 29th. Without the steroids, his body has totally fallen apart and he isn't the same hitter we all remember. Plus, he is a total and complete cancer in the clubhouse. He's part of the Boston-NYY bad mojo. By my math, he'd be due more than $4M just for September. (That number alone tells you it is not happening so long as Stu is breathing).

The Rays should want to have nothing to do with him.

7. Aaron says:

Please let this become reality!

8. zenny says:

I would LOVE to see Manny "Playing for Another Big Payday" Ramirez in a Rays uniform for the stretch run and the post season, especially since he'd be doubly motivated to stick it to Boston. No, he's not the Manny of old, even 60-70% of one of the best hitters of his generation is still far more capable and intimidating at the plate than the Willie Aybars of the world. (No offense to Willie, who's underrated, but no Manny.)

If the Rays are serious about going all in for a title this season, claiming Manny would be a must-do if he makes it this far down the waiver wire, especially if they wouldn't have to sacrifice any prospects to get him. And the extra sales of tickets and Ramirez jerseys would make some of the money back instantly, imo.