The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Replica Yankee Stadium’s Short-Porch. Reid Brignac hit 2 home runs, both landing a few rows back in the section of seats that seem to be in right-center field. And if you haven’t watched a lot of games at Replica Yankee Stadium, now you know why Johnny Damon hit 24 home runs last year and only has 6 this season. And now you know why we think Carl Crawford will hit 25 home runs a year for the Yankees and might actually be worth $75+ million in pinstripes. But for one afternoon, that short-porch helped the Rays…Carlos Pena. El Gato also took advantage of the short-porch for his 19 home run. He also added a double and 2 singles raising his average from .201 to .210…Evan Longoria. We do take Dirtbag for granted, but another typical Longlorious game. Two hits, 3 runs scored, and a fantastic defensive play coming in on a slow roller.
THE BAD: Carl Crawford. Rough night for Superman as he went 0-5 with 3 strikeouts.
THE TELLING: Carlos Pena’s 4-hit game was his first since May 8, 2007.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 55-35, 2 games behind the Yankees and 3.5 games in front of the Red Sox in the Wild Card. After 90 games in 2008, the Rays were 55-35.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Reid Brignac talks about his 2 home run game (Video). [The Heater]
- Joe Maddon and BJ Upton believe Mariano Rivera balked on Friday night when Upton was picked-off. [St. Pete Times]
- Gary Shelton is not sure the Rays need to make any trades. [St. Pete Times]
- Roger Mooney examined the madness behind Joe Maddon’s lineup cards. [Tampa Tribune]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Heath Phillips allowed just 1 run in 6 innings with 5 Ks and a walk…Desmond Jennings was 1-5 with his 22nd and 23rd stolen bases…Dan Johnson was 0-2 with a walk…Chris Richard had 3 hits including a double.
- MONTGOMERY: Jeremy Hall allowed 4 runs in 6.2 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 3…Emeel Salem hit his 4th home run…Leslie Anderson doubled as a pinch-hitter…Matt Sweeney, who has been dropped to 7th in the lineup, was 2-6.
- CHARLOTTE: Matt Moore struck out 11 in just 6 innings but gave up 3 runs (2 earned) on 3 hits and 2 walks for his 9th loss…Tim Beckham was 2-4 and is 11-34 (.324) with 7 walks in the last 10 games.
- BOWLING GREEN: Kyle Lobstein dropped to 6-5 after giving up 5 runs on 10 hits and a walk in 6 innings. He struck out 4…Cody Rogers was 0-4.
- HUDSON VALLEY: Jacob Thompson, one of this year’s 2nd round picks, made his first professional start after 3 relief appearances. He threw 4 shutout innings, striking out 4 and giving up just 2 hits and no walks. He has yet to allow a run in 11 innings with 13 Ks and 4 walks…Derek Dietrich, the other 2nd round pick, went 1-5…Phil Wunderlich, this year’s 12th round pick, was 2-4 and hit his 2nd home run. The first baseman is hitting .341 in 20 games.
- PRINCETON: Jacob Partridge, last year’s 18th round pick, gave up 3 runs on 5 hits and 2 walks. He struck out 2 and allowed 2 home runs…Bryan Fogle, this year’s 32nd round pick, was 2-2 with a pair of doubles. He is hitting .262.