THE GOOD: The Tampa Bay Rays. David Price had 2 scoreless innings, 1 hit, no walks and a strikeout. Evan Longoria had 2 plate appearances and he was on base both times, including a double and a walk. Rafael Soriano tossed a 1-2-3 inning. Yeah, the Rays did not embarrass themselves…Come A Long Way. This is a franchise that once used Dewon Brazelton as their opening day starter and last night their #4 starter started the All-Star game. And this is a franchise that once had Lance Carter as their only All-Star representative (who didn’t even play) and last night the Rays had 3 starters. When the Rays play their next game, take a moment to sit back and reflect on that.
THE BAD: The FOX TV Radar Gun. David Price throws hard. He doesn’t throw 100. At first, some thought he was amped up. But then we saw similarly overclocked fastballs from other pitchers…Bizarro Baseball. Evan Longoria was replaced in the AL lineup by Ty Wigginton. This was seriously messin’ with our heads.
THE TELLING: David Price became the first pitcher taken #1 overall to start the All-Star game…The Rays will open the second-half in Yankee Stadium where there will certainly be ceremonies for the passing of both Bob Sheppard and George Steinbrenner. Also, Saturday is Old-Timer’s Day at Yankee Stadium.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Minor League Ball takes a look at when the Rays may promote Jeremy Hellickson. [Minor League Ball]
- A former Rays Index writer makes his debut over at Dock of the Rays, where he breaks down Jeremy Hellickson. [Dock of the Rays]
- Watching Durham Bulls Baseball takes a closer look at the Bulls pitching numbers. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
- Tom Krasovic writes about the long road to the All-Star game taken by former Rays prospect Evan Meek, one of three former members of the Rays organization to play in the All-Star game (Ty Wigginton, Josh Hamilton). [Fanhouse]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: (no game scheduled)
- MONTGOMERY: (no game scheduled)
- CHARLOTTE: (no game scheduled)
- BOWLING GREEN: (no game scheduled)
- HUDSON VALLEY: Robert Dickman, the Rays 36th round pick this year, made his 2nd start and gave up 2 runs in 3 innings. He struck out 1 and walked 1…Derek Dietrich, this year’s 2nd round pick, homered for the second straight night.
- PRINCETON: (no game scheduled)