The Rays announced today that they have signed Rocco Baldelli to a minor league contract. No details of the contract were released, but the move is not unexpected as Baldelli has been working to get his shoulder back into playing shape and was often seen taking batting practice at The Trop prior to games this season.

He will be assigned to high-A Charlotte and is expected in the lineup this evening as a DH.

1. John S says:

Yes! Look for that September call up.. He will be our DH against lefties or a PH when a lefty comes in..

A couple weeks in each league and there is our right handed DH against lefties…

Gosh I do remember him in the 2008 season crushing the ball in important times during the run. Especially that bomb against the Phillies in the WS on the road.

News flash: The Rays sign one of the Yankee old timers out of Sat. Game
    The old player is still in a wheel chair but he says he’s feeling better and will surely be able to help the Rays in CF or 1st base!

• Huey Lewis says:

Gawd you are dumb, Don. Go away already

• John S says:

Don says:
        April 11, 2010 at 10:10 am The Rays will NEVER just CUT Burrell…the embaressment factor would be way too much for AF and mgt.
        At best they will weed him out in a slow playing time decrease…in the meantime we all suffer…as Willie and Co. continue to sit!

I mean that speaks for itself in regards the ZERO credibility that Don has… Haha! What an unknowledgable kid!

• Don says:

Give me another posting I was wrong on..bet you can’t…. in 2/3 years of posting I’ll take that record against ANYONE!

Burrell was cut, mgt. was embarressed, mgt never admitted it… Willie continues to sit while Joyce (Mr.188) is DH…….. not that far from right on!

• KillaTapes says:

Not sure what your crush on Aybar is all about, but he’s a bench player, period. Decent bat, below average defense but can play multiple positions. His performance does not warrant him starting over anyone we have in the starting lineup. Not saying he isn’t useful, he’s just not the star you keep making him out to be.

• Brian H says:

your 0-1 against me don. i called you flat out on it. take that record against anyone but me. you should owe me something.

• Brian H says:

oh don…

3. Amanda says:

I don’t know if he can ever make it back to the Bigs, but I’m glad to see the Rays giving him another shot.

4. Gus says:

Badlelli is the anti-Burelll and hopefully can restore some quality to the No. 5.

Goodness knows we can use some help from the right side of the plate. Like the eternal search for a closer, it seems for all the good moves of the front office (and they’ve made many), they have kind of a blind spot for the right handed hitter.

5. Matt says:

Hey why not? He’s a cheap player who might help out in september. As long as he hits better than Krapler

6. John S says:

I am just saying that he has an advanced bat.. this health problem was fatigue not being able to do things for a long time.. The guy had it in 2 years ago when it was fill blown he is was an invaluable bat for us during the run.

He has been teaching hitting for the past 6 months, any athlete will tell you when you teach other people about something whether its shooting a basketball or kicking a ball, you, yourself, will perform better because it slows everything down.

And he is still relatively young. I mean I know they said late last year that they found a way to cure the disease, can anyone confirm that?

But I agree with you, it is a long shot; but it was widely known when they hired Rocco that this was their plan

7. Hal says:

Rocco was every bit the centerfielder that BJ is when he tries; except Rocco always tried. He was not nearly as fast, but got great jumps and got to everything. I hope he makes it back.

8. Beth says:

Hey, I love the guy and I’m glad the Rays have found a way to keep him. But the idea that he’s somehow the “answer” to all hitting and fielding issues….really? He hasn’t been “that player” for many years. The idea that he could be more than a minor role player is wishful thinking.

• Huey Lewis says:

Nobody said he’s the answer to anything.

This team has no fielding issues.

It’s nothing more than adding depth to the organization, and brining back a fan favorite who could possibly provide a bat off the bench down the stretch. It is a completely harmless, zero risk-high reward move.

This is why Andrew Friedman is, in my opinion, the best in the business.

9. Eric says:

Hey a couple of key swings of the bat can mean the difference in this American League East. Why not give the man a shot, he has been through a lot. Any guy that tough deserves a little slack.