Absolutely loving how the Rays didn’t only sweep the Tigers but sucked the soul out of them in the process.

You could heap superlatives left and right on the Rays about now. Randy Choate and Dan Wheeler looking like studs in starring roles. Sean “wet-vac” Rodriguez seemingly dried out now and delivering a big single to set up today’s critical insurance run. And, of course, Joe Maddon’s mad-scientist ego has to be at an all-time high after walking Miguel Cabrera intentionally again to load the bases.

On pace for 101.

Joe’s got to hone in shortstop-today Reid Brignac’s leaping grab in short left field in the first inning to stunt a Detroit rally.

That was a very tough play to execute after dancing around near second base holding a runner close. It’s the kind of defense that just punches a team in the gut, especially one fishing for confidence after three tough losses and David Price on the mound.

The Rays all but stepped on Detroit’s throat in the first inning.

So Stu Sternberg gets what he always dreamed of, a best-in-baseball, sold-out home series with the Yankees.

Joe suspects there won’t be any stadium talk this weekend, or when they count all the money on Monday.

1. Gatorbuc15 says:

How SWEEP it is! Bring on the Yanks, we’ll kick their ass to!

2. Pete Dutcher says:

This may or may not be appropriate here:

I am a devout Buccaneers fan…totally into them. I like watching other teams, but the Bucs are where my love is.

When it comes to baseball, I’ve always had a hard time watching it. I won’t go into the reasons, but I pretty much can’t stand the sport.

That said, these Rays are slowly getting my attention. Right now, I wouldn’t even consider myself a spectator, but I will admit, I listen for news and once in a while I’ll watch a few innings if I locate them on the TV.

Now, I bring all this up for one reason…attendence. I know it has nbeen low, although all the yankme games are sold out. I just wanted to let Rays fans know that there are fring guys out here that could be won over if they keep winning and doing well.

Call it bandwagon if you like…but that’s how you get attention if you want your fanbase to grow. I know the Rays plan to cut salaries next year if attendence doesn’t go up…I advise against that. Why? Because if production goes down, we fringe guys who are on the fense will walk away instead of toward.

Remember, in my case, the Rays are not just trying to win me as a Rays fan, they also are convincing me that Baseball can be fun to watch and enjoy. Right now, they are heading in that direction.

Good job, guys.

• Cork Gaines says:

Personally I have never understood why people hate “bandwagon” fans. I can’t blame somebody if they didn’t want to spend time watching the 2005 Devil Rays and I definitely can’t blame them for not wanting to spend money on those teams.

And now, the Rays need bandwagon fans and they need a lot of them. So welcome aboard. Many of us are glad to have you. Let’s just hope the Rays give you a reason to stick around.

• Sarah says:

I have also questioned the condemnation of the “bandwagon fan.” Guys, if we just stick with the Rays fans we’ve had, we will lose this team. We need new ones. If Rays playing great ball gets them to the park, great! We don’t condemn people who only go to good movies — why get down on those who prefer to see good baseball?

• Cork Gaines says:

And I should add…the Rays are going to go through what I call a mini-rebuilding phase next year. That is, they are going to cut the payroll drastically, but most of the core players will still be here. Those that are leaving will likely have some exciting young replacements. So this team may not compete for a title next year but they should still be very good (maybe 85wins?) and if they catch a break they could sneak into the playoffs.

But once those young players start to mature I think you will see this team right back where they are now and that could be as soon as 2012.

So this is not going to a Marlins situation where they trade all their good players and finish in last place for several years. This team will still be good for many years to come.

• Cork Gaines says:

So this is not going to be a Marlins situation where they trade all their good players and finish in last place for several years. This team will still be good for many years to come.

• JoeRaysFan says:

Well done, Pete. And thanks for checking out JoeRaysFan.com, I mean RaysIndex.com, I mean …

Nothing wrong with the bandwagon. …That same bandwagon sold out Lightning games for quite a while after the Cup victory. We need all your money to keep Carl Crawford.

• Don says:

Dear Butcher, Do us a favor… continue to be a bucs (3-13)loser fan, WE COULD CARE LESS IF YOUR A RAYS FAN..
      WHY…because you are a LOSER…
      Go to Joe Butts Fans. Com for futher Info.

• Hosstyle in Tampa says:

Oh well please grace us with your presence, oh great Pete Doucher. Give me a break. You’re “not even a spectator”, yet you’re reading Rays Index? I think someone is getting creative with their identity. I find it hard to believe a person who catches an “inning or two when they can locate the Rays on TV” (it’s really tough, usually ch. 31 or if you can figure out one of those new HD televisions it’s ch. 1148, don’t hurt yourself in the process) reads a blog about the Rays.

3. Gatorbuc15 says:

How many games do you think (MONEY) Price will win this year? I bet he’ll win between 20 to 25!

4. John S says:

There are still tickets available for the Rays-Yankees game this weekend.

5. ac3 says:

im worried about this yankees series, we just got through neimann and price, leaving davis, garza (thats fine), and shields to take on the yanks

There are NO tickets left for the weekend….where are all those attendance bashers…Hey Prof.???

7. KillaTapes says:

Completely untelated, but is there any chance we can keep A-Roid from hitting #600 at the Trop? I really wanted him to hit it in Cleveland just so we wouldn’t have to see it on our turf. Has he ever gone 50+ AB without a homer?

• ben says:

damn…. the media attention on this series is going to be annoying as hell. Natl. media will be focused on A-Rod, story won’t be Rays win 2/3, it will be #600 or Waiting for 600. Then again, the Rays have been good for a couple of years now, so maybe we will get some respect. Also about on A-Fraud, he gets to face three of the pitchers on this list via b-ref

Home Runs given up leader board (AL)
      1. Rowland-Smith (SEA) 23
      2. Bannister (KCR) 22
      SHIELDS(TBR) 22
      Millwood (BAL) 22
      5. Blackburn (MIN) 19
      6. DAVIS (TBR) 18
      Baker (MIN) 18
      Vazquez (NYY) 18
      Sheets (OAK) 18
      GARZA (TBR) 18
      Niemann (TBR)

• Sarah says:

As much as I would hate the hoopla of Rodriguez hitting #600 on our turf, I would even more hate the idea that the Rays would alter their strategy in any way to avoid this. The goal is to win this series. If anything, let him hit solo shot in his first at-bat and then we can move on. Maybe it will go into the Rays tank and some Yankee official will have to dive in and fish it out.