Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune brings us the latest player that the Rays may be kicking the tires on. And this time, the Rays may be getting serious (via Twitter)…

Rays appear to be getting serious about Brewers’ Corey Hart. TB has pitching to trade with Futures starter Jeremy Hellickson ready.

Some have interpreted that to mean the Rays are willing to trade Jeremy Hellickson for Corey Hart. We read the tweet differently. Rather we read that to mean the Rays are willing to trade a starting pitcher (Wade Davis?), because they have depth at that position.

Hart is a solid right-handed bat from the Brewers that would fit in nicely at DH for the Rays. 2010 marks his fourth full-season in the big leagues and he is off to a career-year, hitting .288-21-65 with a .349 OBP.

1. Jon says:

I wouldnt give up Hellickson, he looks to be a solid starter in the near future, Id rather give up Davis, or even Garza instead.

2. Brian H says:

does any one else think that james shields is the more likely candidate to be taded than wade davis?

• Cork Gaines says:

I think it is certainly possible. But I would still be surprised to see Shields traded before the winter. I know he has struggled, but if the Rays are going to compete this year, Shields gives them a better chance than Wade.

But there is a catch. If the Rays are seeing something in Shields that is not easily fixed, and that is why he is struggling, then yes, he could go.

• Matt says:

I think so. Davis has had his rough starts but he had been somewhat good with some nice starts. Plus, he is so young. I agree that Shields has a better chance just because of his ERA that has risen but the Rays still have several weeks. That's at least two to three more starts for each of them. And like Joe D. said, if Davis is traded we'd probably get more than just Hart.

3. Joe D. says:

Why do the Rays love the low walk/high strike out guys so much?

4. Connie says:

That freaked me out when I interpreted it as saying they were going to trade Hellboy. Thanks for reinterpreting that for us! No way would they trade him (I would hope!)

5. Joe D. says:

They need way more than Corey Hart for even Davis, right?

• Cork Gaines says:

Probably. After Jennings and Hellickson, the Rays are a little thin in the upper minors. So maybe they are looking at this as an opportunity to get a bat and add a prospect or two?

• Joe D. says:

I'm thinking that's the key is Corey Hart plus prospects, 'cause sure Davis' been rough at times but he's still a young cheap top notch pitching prospect w/ 5 1/2 years of control.

Not worth even repeating that kind of garbage.....

7. Connie says:

How about Willinghammer?

8. Jason W says:

I like Corey Hart, but I wouldnt trade Davis nor Hellboy for him. Maybe Cobb or Colome and Sweeny. And I would only get him ONLY if he played every day, no platooning bullsh**!

9. Ben says:

Unacceptable.

Hellickson is not tradeable. Especially not for Corey Hart (who is having a great season). He is a National League hitter.

End of discussion.

PS: Pat Burrell 2.0.

• DRR says:

You missed the point of this post, didn't you?

• Indiana Rays Boy says:

Ben's comment about Corey Hart being Pat Burrell 2.0, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. I have doubts about players like him having a career year then coming to AL looking lost. If they want Hart so much, give them someone like Davis or Shields. I will hold on to Hellickson, Jennings, Torres, Cobb and Colome. The guy I would trade is Upton.

• Alex says:

He's young and he did this type of thing 2 years ago and 3 years ago when he hit 20+ hr's and had 20+ sb. Its not like he's 33 guys. He's 28. He had a down year last year but he's picked it back up. Burrell was a guy with obviously declining skills whose skill set was limited as it is.

• Alex says:

One more thing: He's in his PRIME. That's why he's having a career year. Some of you would be terrible GM's

• Indiana Rays Boy says:

I would love to have Corey Hart with the Rays but something tells me that he will forget to hit the baseball once he wears a Ray uniform. His best year was in 2007 with 24 HR's and 81 RBI's with a .295 BA. This year, he has 21 HR's and 68 RBI's with .288 BA in the first half (remember this was the same Corey Hart was on the verge of being put on waivers back in May). But if they Rays do get Corey Hart, I hope he succeeds and puts them over the top but right now I am going to stick with my opinion.

10. Alex says:

I'd welcome a trade for Hart. Good pop. Track record even with his down year last year.

11. Rayhawk says: