Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. We’ve just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. We need all of you, to stop what you’re doing and listen. BLOG-A-PALOOZA!!

If you were around these parts in the last 24 hours, you may have already noticed some renovations such as the banner at the top of the screen. Rays Index has partnered with the awesomeness that is Joe Bucs Fan and will now also be known as Joe Rays Fan.

My role here will not change much. You will still get “The Hangover” most mornings as well as all the other posts, analyses, criticisms, movie references and weak jokes. However, you will get more material as Joe will be making regular appearances.

The partnership also means we have moved the Raysheads Forum to a new site. You can now get all of your discussion needs over at the 620 WDAE website, where the forums will be powered by Joe Bucs Fan and Joe Rays Fan.

It also means I will be making regular appearances on local sports radio (more details to come). And that is just for starters.

Basically, a Rays Index-Joe Rays Fan partnership offer endless possibilities, zero subtlety. So hang on lady, we goin’ for a ride!

1. Chris says:

Congrats duder, glad everything is working out for you. Although it makes me sad in the pants to have to deal with subpar 620 now. /shudder

2. Chris says:

Exactly. Sileo (sp?) and Deumig are radio bullies, and Ron/Ian talk sports maybe 1/8 time. Game broadcasts rock though.

3. ramedy says:

And I was just about to start a “Duemig is a jackhole” thread. I kid, somewhat.

Seriously, congrats!

4. Chris says:

That said I don’t mean o be negative. JBF rocks, so any partnership with them and this site will be doubly awesome.

5. Ian says:

Cork, does this mean you’ll start referring to yourself in the third person?

6. Amanda says:

I’m absolutely over the moon about your partnership with 620! :) People can think whatever they want about the hosts, but as a news-gathering organization, they’re top-notch! As a station, they routinely break news out of the Tampa area and have several on-site reporters at every Bucs, Rays, and Lightning game. They actually report on news as it happens instead of just reading out of the newspaper a day later. Plus, whenever a big sports story is happening in Tampa, I know I’m going to hear all the news and all the interviews there. (Hooray Internets for streaming radio!) Plus, I really appreciate their “caller-driven radio” stance, where all of the hosts will let you talk about whatever’s on your mind, and not stoop to All-LaBron, All-Day or Topic Of The Day.

Think of it this way: A highly-respected site like Joe Bucs Fan wouldn’t stick with 620 if they weren’t credible, and vice versa. Well done, Cork, and congratulations! :)

BTW — I’d rather have hosts that annoy me, but ones I can trust. Unlike the sports radio up here in Charlotte, where Mark Packer (son of Billy Packer), left in the middle of a call-in interview to use the bathroom, and then asked the same question that one of his co-hosts asked while he was gone.

• Trevor says:

I used to really like WDAE and Big Dog, but over the years, I’ve grown tired of him. Now I just get so annoyed with most of what he says. He never checks his facts, just blurts out ridiculous things that don’t even make sense.

One time he said that the difference between the #3 and #4 hitter is 100 at bats over the course of the season. Where is the world does he come up with this. The only way the #4 hitter doesn’t have as many at bats as the #3 hitter is if the #3 hitter makes the last out of the game in 100 games. That still bothers me to this day.

Oh well, good luck and hope this site takes off even more.

• Amanda says:

For what it’s worth, I think Steve has really gone downhill since Chris’ death, because Chris would be the one who would go to Steve if he said something off and say, “why don’t you think about it this way?” and Steve would often come back with a new perspective on the issue. (That’s not waffling, that’s learning.) Chris was not only Steve’s business partner, but also his best friend. Also, in recent memory, Steve’s lost his dad, his mom, his ex-wife (his daugther’s mother), and his current wife has cancer. It hurts me to listen to him most times because he’s turned into “Bitterman,” as Chris would call it. His whole beef with Ian (unless it was staged, which I don’t think this one was), was mainly because Ian wasn’t Chris. (Read: Ian doesn’t do a boat-load of research and has a different way of doing his show. That’s not Ian’s fault, and someone should have pulled Steve aside to tell him to let it go. I’m also glad to hear that Ron and Ian went to the CT Golf Classic, and Steve thanked them on-air the next day.)

Look, I don’t know Steve personally … I just know him well enough that if I attended a remote, he would recognize me and wave, because I attended so many events and used to call waaaaaay back in the day. I feel sorry for him more than anything, because he didn’t use to be this way. 90 percent of the time, he is factually right, especially when it comes to breaking news with the Lightning and Bucs. For the most part, I can separate it from his opinions.

7. Rob moates says:

congrats. Glad to see you taking this to the next level. You do a great job. Keep it up. GO RAYS

8. smelp says:

CONGRATS. you rule!

9. Jim says:

So Joe, are you going to pine over Rachel Watson here? Or are you going to have to find another lady associated with the Rays?

• Joe says:

Jim:

To Joe’s knowledge Rachel Watson has no connections to the Rays in any way (though the thought of her in revealing Rays attire piques Joe’s interest).

The Rays are not the Marlins and have no cheerleaders so Joe has no Rays women to ogle over, with the exception of an extremely attractive Latina (Rican) barmaid at Fergs prior to a Rays game.

She almost coerced Joe into staying at Fergs rather than go to a recent Rays game just by looking pretty.

• Amanda says:

If the Rays don’t have cheerleaders, then who are those girls in Rays jerseys who get up on the dugouts and dance around? Or did they finally stop that silly nonsense.

• Sam says:

Amanda – that’s the kind of answers to expect from someone with limited knowledge of the team whose primary goal is to force a bunch of bad nicknames down our collective throats.

• JoeRaysFan says:

Sam – Thanks for all the love. Joe goes to Rays games and sees the pretty girls jumping up and down on the dugout. They’re not cheerleaders. They just don’t meet the standard.

10. Cork Gaines says:

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

11. MJ says:

You guys got it twisted, Ron and Ian are hilarious. That show gets me through the morning. Scilio is a moron, but you can’t tell me youd rather listen to “The Babe” or Marc Bynardzyk (sp?).

Congrats.

12. Sam says:

PLEASE tell me that he isn’t going to write on this site. I have always enjoyed reading this site but have zero interest in reading a poor man’s Chris Berman with a bunch of really bad nicknames.

13. JoeRaysFan says:

Sam – Joe’s not taking over this site and plans to write just once a day. So nobody will be soiling your love for RaysIndex.com. … And we really only use a small handful of nicknames on JoeBucsFan.com. Can’t a guy have a little fun?

14. Martin says:

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing where all this goes.

15. Dustin says:

not to pile on the adulation, but congrats to you, prof. you (and joe) do good work, so it seems to me like it’ll take some doing for y’all to make this thing go badly. thanks for distracting me from my dissertation, and keep up the good work!

16. Ragin Rick says:

cork, congrats, and I am a huge fan of your posts. Keep up the good work.

17. Preston says:

Congrats to an Iowa grad!