THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Nolan Ryan and the Rangers are once again setting their sights on Gerry Hunsicker. They didn’t get him last winter. Will Hunsicker be able to say “no” again? [Houston Chronicle]
- The Red Sox will be without Victor Martinez in this series with the Rays…Dustin Pedroia is also out of the lineup. [Boston Herald]
- Gary Shelton says the Rays need more from BJ Upton than just more effort, although that would be nice. [St. Pete Times]
- Joe Henderson says Evan Longoria has now elevated himself to team leader. [Tampa Tribune]
- Joe Henderson also wonders about BJ Upton’s future with the Rays noting that his production is hurting the Rays just as much as his lack of effort. [Tampa Tribune]
- Evan Longoria’s lead in the all-star voting at third base is safe, but Carl Crawford’s lead is slipping. He is still third among outfielders, but his lead over Nelson Cruz is just 160K. Longoria is third overall in the voting. [The Heater]
- Jonah Keri offers 10 moves that will get the Rays to the playoffs. [JonahKeri.com]
- Mostly behind the “Insider” wall…Buster Olney compares Evan Longoria’s confrontation with BJ Upton to an incident involving a young Derek Jeter. [ESPN]
- Here is a close look at Rays 2009 third-round pick Todd Glaesmann. [MiLB]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: JJ Furmaniak’s 2-run double with 1 out in the bottom of the 9th was the game-winner. He finished 2-5 and drove in all 3 runs…Richard de los Santos pitched 7.1 innings, giving up 2 runs (1 earned)…Desmond Jennings went 3-5 with a double to raise his average to .298…
- MONTGOMERY: David Newmann surrendered 4 runs (3 earned) in 4.1 innings, striking out 5 and walking 2…Matt Sweeney was 1-4 with 3 strikeouts. In 33 games since being promoted, Sweeney is hitting .211-1-18 with a .254 OBP, 38 strikeouts and just 6 walks.
- CHARLOTTE: Chris Andujar gave 3 runs in 5 innings, walking 3 and striking out 3…The Stone Crabs managed just 2 hits, both by Anthony Scelfo…Tim Beckham went 0-4…
- BOWLING GREEN: Jason McEachern picked up his 3 win with 6.1 shutout innings…Five different Hot Rods had 2 hits including Bennett Davis who drove in 3.
- HUDSON VALLEY: Devin Fuller struck out 6 and walked none in 4 innings, but allowed 4 run on 9 hits including a 2-run home run by Cory Vaughn, son of former Devil Ray Greg Vaughn…Robby Price was 3-5 with 2 doubles.
- PRINCETON: Andrew Bellatti, the troubled prospect, made his second start, giving up just 2 unearned runs in 6 innings, striking out 5 and walking none. On the season he has allowed 1 earned run in 11.1 innings with 10 strikeouts and 2 walks…Hector Guevara went 2-4 with a pair of doubles.