RAYS 5, PADRES 3

THE GOOD: Stirrup Power! If you didn’t get to see yesterday’s game and if you missed our post last night, please go now. And if there is any doubt that the stirrups should become the norm, note that players that wore stirrups went 9-18 with a home run and those that did not went 3-16 with 6 Ks. Then again Amanda noted there was also an ejection and a demotion for those wearing the ‘rups…Joe Maddon. We love JoeMa, we really do. And we have never loved him as much as we loved him yesterday when he went out in the 7th inning to argue a balk called on Matt Garza. Knowing he is not allowed to argue balk calls, Maddon stood on the mound and went on a tirade directed at the umpire while looking at Garza. Garza had to do everything he could to keep from laughing. Pure Joe Maddon…Matt Garza. He overcame a shaky 2nd inning to pitch 8 strong inning to throw 8 strong innings. Outside of that 2nd inning, Garza allowed no runs and just 3 hits, retiring 19 of the last 21 batters he faced…Carlos Pena. Pena hit an opposite field home run which of course means the Rays offense will be fine for the next 5-10 games.

THE BAD: Playing with Fire. In the second inning it was the bases loaded with 1 out and in the third inning it was first and third with no outs. Both times the Rays failed to score and it looked like they were headed to yet another ugly loss.

THE TELLING: Carl Crawford left the game early with “shoulder soreness.” He is not expected to go on the DL, but will probably not be in the lineup tonight…Joe Maddon’s ejection was his 3rd of the season…Kelly Shoppach’s home run was his first with the Rays…BJ Upton and his brother Justin Upton will face each other for the first time as big leaguers tonight…Gabe Kapler will begin a 4-game rehab assignment tonight with Charlotte.

WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 43-29, 2 games behind the Yankees in the East and tied with the Red Sox in the Wild Card. After 72 games in 2008, the Rays were 43-29.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Several of the Rays comment on how they struggled to keep a straight face when Joe Maddon came out to argue with Matt Garza about the balk call. [St. Pete Times]
  • Michael Sasso looks at other cities that might want a big league team and what role they might play in the Rays quest for a new stadium. [Tampa Tribune]
  • Marc Topkin spoke with Matt Joyce about his return to the big leagues. [The Heater]
  • Here is a highly entertaining video of David Price who was recently mic’d up during a game. The money quote: “Do you know what Longo’s middle name is? ‘I’m so good,’ Evan I’m So Good Longoria.” [FSFlorida]
  • The St. Pete Times examines whether or not the Rays are truly “the most affordable in all of professional sports.” [St. Pete Times]
  • Sun Sports’ “Inside the Rays” episode featuring Wade Davis and Jeff Niemann on their fishing trip will air this Sunday at 4:30.
  • Kelly Shoppach on his approach against Wade LeBlanc: “It’s a secret!” [SunSports]

DOWN ON THE FARM

• Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
  • DURHAM: Aneury Rodriguez gave up 2 runs in 5 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 3…The Bulls managed just 2 hits including an RBI single by Desmond Jennings.
  • MONTGOMERY: Jeremy Hall got pounded for the second straight start. This time he allowed 6 runs (3 earned) in 5 innings on 5 hits and 3 walks. The big blow was a 3-run home run…Matt Fields 10th home run was 1 of just 4 hits for the Biscuits.
  • CHARLOTTE: Joe Cruz took the loss despite working 8 innings. He allowed 3 runs on 8 hits and a walk. He struck out 4…Tim Beckham was 1-4 with a strikeout.
  • BOWLING GREEN: (no games scheduled)
  • HUDSON VALLEY: Julius Dettrich gave up 6 runs (5 earned) in 4 innings…Nick Schwaner was 2-5 with a double and a home run.
  • PRINCETON: Braulio Lara made his first start, giving up 7 runs (4 earned) in 4.1 innings…Leonardo Reginatto went 2-5 with a double and his first stolen base.

Tags

1. Charles says:

This is gonna be a great game. In addition to Upton v. Upton, we also get Edwin Jackson vs. Matt Joyce, the two guys who were traded for each other. Looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

• Don't hear much about the Edwin Jackson vs Matt Joyce debate anymore. LOL

• Charles says:

I know, right? I remember when it happened, you'd think we'd traded away Bob Gibson. Right now I still think it's a tie. Neither of them has set the world on fire, but I still have hope for Joyce. Nobody with a swing that pretty can be a complete bust.

• Don says:

Oh.... Charles "I still think its a tie"
          Well lets see.....EJ won 14/15 games last year plus won 5 so far this year
          Plus he made the All Star team in 2009....
          Joyce has been in the minors and hurt since we got him...
          I think Joyce has some ground to make up!

• Don says:

Last night (Fri).... makes you and your Bob Gibson comment look like a genius!

2. TBGriot says:

I can't really agree that the Jackson for Joyce trade is a "tie" so far. Jackson has contributed very nice WARs of 3.6 and 1.5 for the Tigers and Diamondbacks respectively the last two years and his nasty ERA covers up the fact that he has posted career best FIPs and xFIPs since moving to the inferior league. He's also pitched excellently of late. All this isn't to say we needed him, we obviously didn't, but until Joyce starts contributing, and there's no guarantee that he will, you can't really call this trade fair yet

I think the most interesting matchup is going to be the pitching duel between Jackson and the guy who replaced him in the Rays rotation, Jeff Niemann.

3. Ro says:

That was a great game last night. I was listening on Atbat and Dave and Andy described the "yelling at Matt". I was cheering when Joe got ejected. I think it fired everyone up, especially his little trick on the mound. During the press conference after the game, Joe talked about the balk call but he something like, you know I just had to go out there and yell at Matthew for that, a balk just like Shieldsy the night before, a move like every other major leaguer, how dare you, I had to yell at him for that. I'm paraphrasing obviously, but it was hilarious.

That was the best game in awhile and not just because they won. They all did great and Garza rocked. How bout less time between pitches? He looked great! I think it was about 15 seconds between instead of the 30 he's been taking lately.

Really looking forward to the Upton series!

And I'm actually a little sad about Navarro. I became a fan of the Rays and of baseball for the first time in my life in 08 and Navi was part of that. It was Evan I'm so good Longoria though, who really drew me in. Think Tantric will play his atbat music live?

4. Ro says:

Just realized I said "last night" instead of the morning. It was on at nine here in AZ. So yeah, great game yesterday morning ;)

5. Amanda says:

This is one of the things I truly like about Maddon. That whole scene yesterday was great, and the fact that everyone "got it" without as much as a wink or a nudge-nudge, know what I mean? was priceless! I one big swoop, he told the world he's got his pitcher's back, calmed their nerves in a pressure situation, and probaby told the ump to F off in the process. He knows when to go after the umps, and he can go old school on them.

And the stirrups. *dreamy sigh*

6. TBGriot says:

I like Maddons comments after the game where he jokingly kept the gag going about chewing out Garza and how he must have been effective since Garza didnt balk the rest of the game. Maddons a cool dude

7. Ro says:

Can someone describe the stirrups? It's times like these I hate being blind. ;)

8. Brett says:

Ro- it's not so much that they are wearing stirrups, more so that they are wearing socks pulled up with the pants tucked into the socks, just below the knees. I just read somewhere on tbo.com that Maddon is "committed to the sock" so I'm assuming we'll see them again tonight.

9. Ro says:

Hmmm, interesting. So why is there so much talk about stripes, are the stripes on the socks?

• Cork Gaines says:

They wore their Navy Blue tops with white pants. The pants come down just below the knee. When done right, the pants are tucked into the socks and then folded over just slightly which gives a "bloused" look.

The players are wearing white socks (or sanitaries) and Navy blue stirrups. The stirrups have a striped pattern about midway. It is a set of 3 stripes white-sky blue-white. Each stripe looks to be about an inch thick, maybe a little less. That set of 3 stripes is repeated a second time after a little bit of navy blue space. In total, it looks like 7 stripes in which the middle stripe is navy blue.

You can just see the white socks underneath around the ankle and heel. And you can see a little more white in the back as the stirrup is designed to come up a little higher in the back.

Did that make sense?

10. Ro says:

Ok it's getting a little more clear haha! So the stirrup kinda surrounds the leg then, like around the calf? Do they go under the foot and then like attach to the leg of the pants or something?

I'm drawing on old sighted days of stirrup pants. I think I'm getting the image. Are the stripes verticle or horizontal?

Thanks so much!! :)

• Cork Gaines says:

Ah yes. The stripes are horizontal like bands around the middle of the calf. And yes, very similar to leggings with a thin strap that goes under the heal. And they are very similar to socks that go up to the knee.

11. Ro says:

Yay!! I can totally picture it now thank you!!! I know Evan had been doing a bloused look at times, at least Dave and Andy sometimes mentioned. These just must look so sharp. Dammit, why couldn't I have been a fan before I lost by sight haha! Ah well. Thanks so much for your help!

Maddon's little tirade almost got us fired up....
    There was about 4/5 of us just watching and of course we couldn't hear what Maddon was saying to Garza...
    We though oh my God...Maddon is finally going off on a player that screw up...then we seen guys smiling and the ump throw Maddon...Then we came back to reality....a Maddon FABRICATION.....damn...