The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
Today we have several stories planned that will include a lot of numbers. We will also be using stats like wOBA and FIP. Please don’t panic. There won’t be any math and there won’t be any exams afterwards. But if these stats are foreign to you or just downright confusing, we hope you will take today to better understand them. If you have questions, please ask. Nobody is going to judge you. At some point, everybody, even the most diehard stathead, did not know what these stats were and thought things like RBI were a really good way to evaluate a player (it is not).
And if you don’t want these acronyms in your life, you can always head over to the Raysheads Forum and discuss whatever you feel like.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jason Bartlett was placed on the DL and the Rays will recall Kelly Shoppach from his rehab assignment. This means the Rays will go with 3 catchers for the time being. It also means we will probably see John Jaso DH at some point.
- Rafael Soriano was named MLB’s top reliever for the month of May.
- Tom Verducci compares how Angel Hernandez handled his blown call during the Rays game with how Jim Joyce handled his blown call during the near-perfect game. In other words, the situation in Detroit would have been much, much uglier (thanks Amanda). [SI.com]
- Marc Topkin writes about the brutal weather the Rays will face this weekend. [St. Pete Times]
- Roger Mooney writes about Rafael Soriano and how valuable he has been to the Rays. [Tampa Tribune]
- The Book questions Joe Maddon’s decision to have his switch-hitters hit right-handed against Shaun Marcum. [The Book]
- The Rays second-round pick a year ago, was named the Pac-10′s Freshman of the Year. [Mercury News]
- The Tampa Bay History Center is going to have a Rays watch party on Father’s Day (thanks Jordi). [Tampa Bay History Center]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out “The Rundown” from Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Carlos Hernandez gave up 3 runs in 5 innings on 6 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 4…Matt Joyce hit a 3-run home run and drove in 5…Chris Richard also homered, his 8th…Desmond Jennings did not play.
- MONTGOMERY: Jake McGee threw 6 shutout innings giving up just 3 hits and 2 walks. He struck out 4…Matt Sweeney went 0-4 with 2 Ks…Matt Gorgen picked up his 10th save with a perfect ninth.
- CHARLOTTE: Another rough outing for Matt Moore who gave up 6 runs (5 earned) in 6 innings. He struck out 5 and walked 3. The big blow was a 3-run first inning home run…Leslie Anderson was 0-4.
- BOWLING GREEN: (postponed)