The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: David Price. Not so much for his pitching, which wasn’t terrible. He struck out 9 and walked 2. 74 of his 108 pitches were strikes. Rather, Price was the lone bright spot offensively outside of Carl Crawford. Price had a single in one plate appearance and worked a 10-pitch at bat in another before striking out. If not for those 2 at bats, Johnson probably tosses a complete game…Carl Crawford. CC hit his 7th home run of the year. It was just the 4th Josh Johnson has allowed this season.
THE BAD: Fun With (Sun) Rays. First it was the line drive BJ Upton turned into an error. That run would score when Ben Zobrist misplayed the next hit into a triple giving the Marlins the lead. Then there was the popup Sean Rodriguez lost in the 6th. That was followed by a 2-run home run that gave the Marlins an insurmountable lead…Josh Johnson. What can you do except tip your cap? After his 1-run performance, he has not allowed more than 1 run in a start in over a month.
THE TELLING: The Rays are now 10-15 in their last 25 games. The Rays starting pitchers have a 5.72 ERA over that span…Desmond Jennings has spent quite a bit of time recently batting 2nd for the Durham Bulls. That also happens to be Carl Crawford’s spot in the lineup. Only 1 runner even reached scoring position in the first 7 innings off of Johnson. Right-handed batters went a combined 0-11.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 43-26, 1 game behind the Yankees in the East and tied (1 game up in loss column) with the Red Sox in the Wild Card race. After 69 games in 2008, the Rays were 40-29, 2.5 games out of first-place.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- If you missed the news last night, Stuart Sternberg will make a statement at noon today. It is believed that the topic will be a new stadium. [Rays Index]
- In a move that is almost certainly related to Stuart Sternberg’s statement, Sternberg will meet with the mayor of St. Pete this week. [St. Pete Times]
- Joe Maddon may have Matt Garza move up and pitch Wednesday giving James Shields and extra day of rest after his 1 inning relief stint on Saturday. [St. Pete Times]
- Joe Maddon is not a fan of the vuvuzelas. [Rays Report]
- Rays Prospects has the Princeton roster. [Rays Prospects]
- Dennis Maffezzoli reports that former Rays prospect James Houser has been called up by the Marlins. [Twitter]
- Lance Cormier talks about his love of the Alabama Crimson Tide. [Tide Sports]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Jeremy Hellickson improved to 9-2 with 7 innings of 1-run ball. He struck out 6 and walked 1, giving up 5 hits. His ERA is now 2.33…Justin Ruggiano had 2 hits and 2 RBI…Desmond Jennings was 1-4.
- MONTGOMERY: Alex Cobb gave up just 2 unearned runs in 4.2 innings, lowering his ERA to 1.48 in 8 starts. He struck out 4 and walked 2…Matt Fields hit his 8th home run…Cody Cipriano was 3-4 with 2 doubles to raise his average to .280.
- CHARLOTTE: Matt Moore struck out 11 and walked just 2 in 7 innings. He held Jupiter to 1 run on 5 hits to pick up his 3rd win in 10 decisions…Tim Beckham was 1-3 with a walk…Greg Sexton hit his first home run in 24 games since being demoted, a 3-run shot.
- BOWLING GREEN: Kyle Lobstein pitched 7 shutout innings with 5 Ks and 1 walks…Brett Nommensen hit his 5th home run.
- HUDSON VALLEY: Wilmer Almonte gave up 2 unearned runs in 4.1 innings…Elias Otero was 2-3 with a walk.