The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Lighting A Fire. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but Matt Joyce had 3 more hits and 2 walks last night and is now 8-8 with 2 walks since Justin Ruggiano was promoted. Sure the Rays needed a right-handed bat to replace Gabe Kapler. But when time came to promote an outfielder, it was not Joyce and that probably stung a little. Joyce is now 23-67 (.343) in 18 games with Durham and has 15 walks to just 12 Ks. He is also 7-16 (.438) versus lefties at Durham including a single last night.
THE BAD: Pat is Back. Pat Burrell hit another home run for the Giants. He is now 11-27 (.407) with 3 doubles and 2 home runs in 10 games.
THE TELLING: The Rays still have the highest percent chance of making the playoffs according to PECOTA. The Rays are at 79.3%, followed by the Yankees at 70.1%. The Red Sox have a 43.7% shot…Carl Crawford is now second in the All-Star voting among AL outfielders and is just 108K votes behind Ichiro Suzuki. It looks like Crawford will indeed make his 4th all-star appearance and first start…Jason Bartlett went 2-3 with a walk and a double for Durham. He will play with Durham again today and could rejoin the Rays tomorrow.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are tied with the Yankees at 40-23 and are 4 games ahead of the Red Sox in the Wild Card. After 63 games in 2008, the Rays were 37-26.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- We did a Q&A with Tomahawk Talk about this series with the Braves. [Tomahawk Talk]
- Desmond Jennings was named the IL hitter of the week.
- Joe Maddon on Rafael Soriano: “He has a mean streak…” [St. Pete Times]
- Tony Fabrizio writes about Dave Martinez’ job as bench coach. [Tampa Tribune]
- It is amazing how good a team can look playing the Orioles. The Yankees jump ahead of the Rays in the latest ESPN.com power rankings. [ESPN]
- Here is another good pick-by-pick review of the Rays draft. [Minor League Ball]
- Adam Berry writes about the relationship between BJ Upton and his father, the original Bossman. [MLB]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Jeremy Hellickson allowed just 1 run in 6 innings. He struck out 5, walked 1 and allowed 2 hits. He was pulled after just 81 pitches…Dale Thayer was pounded for 5 runs in the 8th inning and took the loss…Matt Joyce was 3-3 with 2 walks…Desmond Jennings was 2-5 with a double. He is now 16-31 in the last 7 games…Jason Bartlett went 2-3 with a double and a walk in his rehab start.
- MONTGOMERY: Alex Cobb gave up 3 runs in 7 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 2. He had only allowed 2 earned runs in 5 previous starts and now sports a 1.89 ERA…Matt Fields hit his 7th home run…Matt Sweeney was 0-4 with 3 strikeouts one day after hitting his first home run with Montgomery.
- CHARLOTTE: Shane Dyer allowed 1 run on 8 hits and 1 walk in 6 innings. He struck out 3. He now has a 1.44 ERA in 5 starts since being promoted…Tim Beckham was 2-4 with a walk…Stephen Vogt was 3-5 with 3 RBI raising his average to .365 (.417 OBP).
- BOWLING GREEN: (no game scheduled)