The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Wade Davis. For the first time this year he worked into the 8th inning and for only the second time in 7 starts, Big Dub worked into the 7th inning. And in doing so, Davis rediscovered his control and command, matching his season-high of 7 strikeouts and walked only 1. Of his 105 pitches, 75 were strikes…BJ Upton. Another night in the leadoff spot and another 3 times on base.
THE BAD: Bearing Down. Each of the Jays first 2 runs scored with 2 outs…GTMI Fail. The Rays were 0-7 with runners in scoring position…BJ Upton. Leadoff specialist, rally killer. In the 6th inning of a 1-run game, Bossman was caught trying to steal third with Evan Longoria at the plate (replays showed he was safe). And in the 8th inning, his double-play killed a second late-inning rally.
THE TELLING: Dioner Navarro was scratched from the lineup with a “stiff neck” which leads us to wonder if Navi will end up on the DL in a “Friedman Special,” to make room for the return of Jason Bartlett…Carl Crawford was not in the starting lineup for the second time this week. Joe Maddon indicated that CC’s body needed some healing and JoeMa decided to rest him versus lefties….With Willy Aybar at DH and hitting cleanup, Joe Maddon has now used 13 different lineups in the last 13 games…Carlos Pena’s home run last night set a franchise record (129), surpassing Aubrey Huff.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 39-21, 2 games ahead of the Yankees and 5 games ahead of the Red Sox in the Wild Card. After 60 games in 2008, the Rays were 35-25.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- If you missed it last night, Dick Vitale was struck by a linedrive in the first inning. [Rays Index]
- Joe Maddon spoke about “Free Carl” week…Also, Jason Bartlett is still planning on being back with the Rays on Tuesday. [St. Pete Times]
- The Rays second-round pick, Derek Dietrich, signed with the Rays last night during the game while at The Trop.
- More Hardball speculates that Carlos Pena might only command a 1-year, $5.0 million deal this off-season…If that’s the case, look for Pena to be back next season with the Rays. [More Hardball]
- Carlos Pena talks about setting the club record for home runs (video). [The Heater]
- Richard Griffin writes about Joe Maddon’s old school baseball style. [Toronto Star]
- The Rays are bringing fancy food to the common folk. [Tampa Tribune]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Heath Phillips worked into the 8th inning, giving up just 1 run (7.1 innings) on 4 hits and 2 walks. He struck out 6…Desmond Jennings was 1-4 and Matt Joyce was 2-3 with a double…Jose Lobaton hit his 5th home run.
- MONTGOMERY: Alex Torres improved to 6-3 despite giving up 4 runs (3 earned) in 5.2 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 1. His ERA is now 2.47…Cody Cipriano hit his 2nd home run and had 3 hits…Matt Sweeney was 3-5 with 2 RBI.
- CHARLOTTE: Nick Barnese gave up 2 runs (1 earned) in 5 innings on 8 hits. He struck out 1 and walked none…Matt Bush pitched 1 perfect inning, striking out 1…Tim Beckham was 0-4 with a walk.
- BOWLING GREEN: Aaron Dott gave up 2 runs in 5 innings, striking out 4 and walking 3…Chris Murrill had a single, 2 walks and stole his 23rd base.