The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Good Starts. After a game like that, about all we can hang our hat on is that the Braves are a good squad and the Rays weren’t going to sweep. And while things are tightening up in the East, the Rays still have the best record in baseball.
THE BAD: 2-Out Scoring. The Braves first 3 runs all came with 2 outs in the 3rd. With the way the Rays were hitting, that inning was the end of the game…Gone Cold. The 8 starting hitters went a combined 3-26 with 1 double, 2 walks and 8 strikeouts.
THE TELLING: Dioner Navarro played for the first time since June 9, pinch-hitting and getting an RBI double…Jason Bartlett was back in the lineup after being activated from the DL. He was 0-2…Sean Rodriguez went hitless for the first time in 16 games.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 41-24, tied with the Yankees for first in the AL East and 3 games ahead of the Red Sox in the Wild Card. After 65 games in 2008, the Rays were 38-27.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Wade Davis talks about last night’s loss. He used the word “sucks” a lot (video). [The Heater]
- The Pirates have designated Akinori Iwamura for assignment, meaning they have 10 days to trade him or they will have to release him. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- RotoProfessor takes a closer look at Sean Rodriguez’ numbers and projects what he could do over a full season. [Roto Professor]
- The Rays announced the signings of a bunch of draftees from the 13th round and later. [MLB]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: (no game scheduled)
- MONTGOMERY: Alex Torres struck out 7 and walked 2 in 5 innings. He allowed 1 run on 3 hits…Nevin Ashley was 2-5 with a walk and 2 RBI.
- CHARLOTTE: Nick Barnese allowed 1 run in 5 innings with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts…Tim Beckham was 0-5 with 2 strikeouts.
- BOWLING GREEN: Aaron Dott took the loss after giving up 8 runs (7 earned) in just 3 innings…Chris Murrill was 103 with a walk and stole his 26th base.