And for the third time in less than a year, the Rays were no-hit. This wasn’t a perfect game, but this one might have been more painful as it came from the right arm of former Ray Edwin Jackson. Jackson walked 8, hit another batter and threw a whopping 149 pitches.

A few notes on the no-hitter….

• Jackson’s 149 pitches are the most ever for a no-hitter*. The previous high was 138, by Randy Johnson and Sandy Koufax.
  • Jackson is just the 10th pitcher to walk at least 7 batters during a no-hitter.
  • His 8 walks were one shy of the record for a 9-inning no-hitter. AJ Burnett walked 9 during his no-no back in 2001. Jim Maloney walked 10 during a 10-inning no-hitter back in 1919.
  • In the last 10 seasons, only Livan Hernandez threw more pitches in a game (150 on 6/3/05). Randy Johnson also threw 149 pitches in a start on 7/31/02.
  • It was the 53rd time in the last 20 years that a pitcher threw at least 149 pitches. The highest total was Tim Wakefield, who threw 172 pitches in a start back in 1993.
  • Of Jackson’s 149 pitches, 70 were out of the strikezone. That is the most since David Cone threw 72 balls (of 142 pitches) on 7/6/92.
  • This was the 22nd no-hitter in which the pitcher hit a batter. The most hit batters in a no-hitter is two, done twice.
  • Jackson’s 140th pitch was 95mph.
  • Matt Joyce, for whom Jackson was traded, went 0-4 in his first start of the season.

Hey, if you are going to lose, you might as well make an ass out of yourself doing it. How else are the Rays supposed to be featured on “SportsCenter”?

*Not all no-hitters have pitch count data. 54 have pitch counts, and Jackson’s 149 is the most among those.

1. Cork Gaines says:

Me: Rays are getting no-hit
    Mrs. Prof: I thought those were supposed to be rare?
    Me: *head hits table*

2. Tone says:

The most pathetic good team in baseball history, sad and heartbreaking. For some reason I just don't think they care. Wonder if the players are even humiliated at all. Whole methodology at the plate needs an overhaul. Fuck watching this team when they play like this. Insanity.

• Stephanie says:

"The most pathetic good team in baseball history."

Couldn't agree more.

• KillaTapes says:

Could not have put it better. So frustrating seeing a team this good play like a bunch of cowards. They need a good brawl perhaps, although I'm not sure anything will wake them up.

3. Joe says:

Hope there is a post and discussion about a quick removal of Derek Shelton here....He can't stay. He especially can't stay if there is no change to personnel. The strategy is inexplicable

• Indiana Rays Boy says:

This team should be embarrassed to take the field today. If Shelton is still the hitting coach, this team is shameless to keep a hitting coach from a previous team (Indians) that was almost dead last in 2009 in offensive categories. Whatever happen to that safety squeeze that Maddon utilizes with RISP less than 2 outs? He abandoned a strategy that worked 100 percent of time so far in the season. I am afraid to see what ridiculous lineup this clown throws out there today.

I told everyone that would listen when he was here..
    Edwin Jackson was one of our best pitchers and the Rays gave him away for Matt (freking) Joyce!
    The Rays record for giving players away is piling up!

If ANYONE out there does NOT think the Rays are lacking in Manager and coaching...I would like to hear it...
    Wonder how long Maddon and Co. can get away with this charade?....not another two years!
    No team...no matter how bad... has EVER had three no hitters against them in 12 months...time for some chances...before they give away our only "true" superstar left.....CC!

• Charles says:

I should probably not open this can of worms, but here goes.

Jackson, by many statistical measures, was the Rays worst starting pitcher in 2008. Worst ERA, worst WHIP, worst strikeout rate, most walks, fewest strikeouts. Even with the 14 wins, nothing in his past or present at that time suggested he would put it all together and improve.

Joyce in 2008, meanwhile, was a 23 year old outfielder displaying a doubles and power stroke and a good eye at the plate at the major league level. This is the kind of guy the Rays just didn't have coming up any time soon, and right field was kind of a mess in 2008 if you'll recall (Gabe Gross & Eric Hinske were the primary starters).

Since then, Jackson has improved and Joyce has regressed and been injured. I can't argue with you on that one. But barring some amazing Miss Cleo-like powers, 2008 me would still make this trade every time. On the evidence presented at the time, it was selling high on a guy at a position of excess whose peripherals told a different story than his W-L record for a guy who showed every sign of being able to fill a position of need more than adequately. Just because it hasn't worked out that way doesn't mean the trade was wrong - it just means that things didn't work out.

Keep in mind though that Joyce has had all of 36 at-bats with the Rays so far. He's definitely coming up on make or break time with his 26th birthday approaching, but I don't think he's there yet.

• Matt says:

I couldn't agree more. At the time, I was excited to get Joyce because he was coming off of a pretty decent season in Detroit and Jackson was always walking on egg shells and we had Price in Triple AAA.

• Don says:

Ok Charlie...I'm going to try to be nice...Does the word young or raw talent mean anything to you..esp when evaluating young pitchers?? You you can forget all your figures ... I could WATCH EJ throw 95mph+ fastballs for strikes and predict he will be one of the Rays best...and told the world about it... if fact... I said he was the third best pitcher the Rays had that year...and I was the first to flip out when I learned he was traded...all posted on various blogs...including this one!
        I guess what bothers me the most is that mgt. and coaches can't see/evaluate the talent in front of them...and we end up with some jerk like Joyce...which to date (two years) has been useless!

• Charles says:

Maybe he was throwing 95+ MPH strikes, but those strikes were getting hit pretty well. He sure wasn't striking guys out with them - Andy Sonnanstine and his 85 MPH fastball had a pretty similar line to Jackson except he had a few MORE strikeouts and half as many walks. A 95+ MPH fastball is only a good thing if it gets results, and the league is full of guys who threw heat and turned out to be pretty mediocre because their speed alone wasn't effective (Kyle Farnsworth, Matt Anderson, etc). Again, he's definitely gotten better in that regard since 2008, but at the time of the trade, there was no reason to expect that he would. Similarly, based on what Joyce put up in his Tigers stint and in the minors, there wasn't any reason to think he'd be a struggling injured non-contributor to date. It's just the way things work out sometimes, but just given the data at the time of the trade, I'd make that move every time.

• Don says:

Listen Charlie... say anything you want.... but do not mention Andy (softball) Sonnastine in the same sentence as Edwin Jackson..As far as pitching ability...
            You come up looking pretty.... well....dumb!

5. Kevin says:

Jackson walked 8 batter...7 in the first 3 innings or so. It's not about who the Rays gave up (Jackson) it's about who we have right now trying to hit the ball. And more to the point it's about the fact that they can't hit the ball. Walks are nice and OBP is nice but when you can't hit the ball pitchers can throw strikes and watch hitters make outs. This line up is full of guys who can't hit...BJ, Pena, Bartlett, S-rod, Blalock, Navi (formerly). We make average pitchers look good and good pitchers look great.

The season started with such promise and of course this is just one game but the team has spent the last month proving they can't hit. And I believe them.

6. Matt says:

For me, the toughest part about this was that they had bases loaded with no outs and they failed to score which showed me nobody was trying to get a hit but be the hero and crush it.

7. Tone says:

Is it just me or does the media seem to give this team a complete pass? What other baseball team in contention would have no criticism after losing this much in three weeks while being no hit for the third time in 12months(record breaker) and then the fucking team plays it off as just another game?!!! They even seemed okay with the whole affair(3rd fucking time!!) except Jeff who worked his ass off to get a win and help stop this death spiral from getting out of hand!!! The whole leadership, management, and coaching staff should be fired or flogged or both!!! The Tampa Bay Rays are a joke to me now, no accountability and no care. I want them to firesale this shameful bunch and ditch Maddon and his chroneys. Sell this team and let someone else actually utilize this young talent. Joke of a baseball team. Should have kept the 2008 team together and just got a closer in 09. Morons that broke something that did not need fixing.

• Matt says:

I thought that was weird too. Every player was okay and was all excited for him and I know they were friends and all but still, things change and no matter what, you have to be upset by that. Jeff certainly was.

• Stephanie says:

The hammer needs to fall on Maddon for this. I can understand being happy for E-Jax, but not when your team has been struggling for weeks. If these guys don't care about their sucktitude, they need new leadership.

• YRM says:

I know what you mean, everyone is acting like it's no big deal that we're witnessing this epic collapse, my friends say it's June and i'm overreacting but this team hasn't won a series in so long I can't even remember when.

Plus chew on this, this team (counting yesterday's win) has gone 12-18 w/ what? 1 series win since starting 32-12, our 5 game lead over the Yankees is now a 2 game deficit and the Red Sox are tied w/ us in the wild card.

Meanwhile the team and the media are acting like it's no big deal we screwed up a 5 game lead w/ 20 games over .500 and the owners are too busy getting into a pissing match w/ the St. Pete Mayor

One shred of hope was found by me: at this point in the season the eventual champs the Yankees who would win 103 games last season were 4 games back to the Red Sox & the eventual NL champs Phillies were in the middle of a 1-9 stretch that saw them just 3 games over .500

8. Indiana Rays Boy says:

Any bets that USA will score more goals against the Ghana game than Rays getting any hits? Just throwing that out there.

• Beth says:

Funny, I was also thinking soccer watching that game -- in soccer, goals are so hard to come by that getting behind 1-0 early in a soccer game is really devastating. Normally in baseball it isn't -- but when they Rays went down 1-0 last night I was thinking that, like in a soccer game, it was all over.

9. Jason W says:

I still think it was funny(in a bad way), in the 3rd, Jackson walks the bases loaded and after a popup, BJ and Blalock swing at the 1st pitch and ruin it. Can we seriously just get rid of Blalock? He has provided nothing so far. And Joyce was very unimpressive last night. Didnt work the at bats that much. I think if this team really wants to make a run, we have to trade for a impact bat. I like a name a I saw at Drays yesterday, Corey Hart. He is a good power bat who also hits lefties well. Just DH him and give him the spot start in the OF once in a while.

• Tone says:

Jeff and Grant were the only Rays that did not fail, they did their jobs and more. All of the Rays have been unimpressive to me since early May. Dump everyone as far as I'm concerned.

10. Aaron says:

"How else are the Rays supposed to be featured on 'SportsCenter'?"

Have all five Rays starting pitchers pitch perfect games, five days in a row?