The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Strong Starts. This is why the Rays strong start was so important. Every team goes through spells like this. But with a such a strong start, the Rays can afford a lull and still have the best record in baseball.
THE BAD: Adrian Beltre. Beltre had Matt Garza’s number, to the tune of two home runs that staked the Red Sox to an early 4-1 lead that nobody in their right mind thought the Rays would overcome.
THE TELLING: BJ Upton was given the night off and may not return to the lineup until Friday. It came after Joe Maddon’s ejection in which he said he had a chance to see the look on Upton’s face in HD and not liking what he saw.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 32-15, 3.5 games ahead of the Yankees in the East and 5.5 games ahead of the Red Sox in the Wild Card. After 47 games in 2008, the Rays were 27-20.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Some asked why we did not comment on the Evan Longoria picture story…The reason is, we are not going to support a Boston website with a link when there is zero reason to believe it is true. If we posted a picture of a naked hobbit and claimed it was Dustin Pedroia, we’d like to think nobody would link to us.
- Marc Topkin reports that no suspensions are expected for Carl Crawford or Joe Maddon for their roles in Tuesday’s arguments/ejections. [The Heater]
- Bucs first-round pick Gerald McCoy got hounded last night at the Rays game. [JoeBucsFan]
- Heath Rollins has been demoted to double-A. It has been a rough week for Rollins. [Biscuit Crumbs]
- Martin Fennelly thinks it would be a good time for Carlos Pena and BJ Upton to start hitting…We like to picture ‘Los and Bossman reading this column and thinking to themselves “Well, now that Martin Fennelly says it is ok, I guess I’ll start getting basehits. Whew.” [Tampa Tribune]
- Tiffany Simons of NBCSports interviewed Evan Longoria about a number of topics. [HardballTalk]
- Andy Sonnanstine spoke with Roger Mooney about the transition to the bullpen (video). [Tampa Tribune]
- Dock of the Rays has some video of Jeremy Hellickson pitching. [Dock of the Rays]
- This is behind the insider wall, but John Perrotto takes a closer look (statistically) at the Rays starting pitchers. [ESPN]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out “The Rundown” from Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: (no game scheduled)
- MONTGOMERY: David Newmann allowed just 1 unearned run in 6.1 innings. He struck out 5 and walked none…Matt Sweeney was 0-4.
- CHARLOTTE: Joe Cruz struck out 8 and walked none, but got pounded for 7 runs on 10 hits in 5 innings…Tim Beckham was 0-4 to end his 6-game hitting streak. He also committed his 9th error…Matt Joyce played right field and was 1-4 with a double.
- BOWLING GREEN: Wilking Rodriguez struck out 8 and walked just 1 in 6 innings. He held South Bend to 1 run.