The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jonah Keri’s upcoming book on the Rays will tentatively be called “The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Thinking Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First” and will be co-marketed as a business book. [Twitter]
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today describes the Rays rotation as the best in baseball. [USA Today]
- Joel Sherman is the latest to suggest the Rays should move to Connecticut. While Sherman acknowledges territorial issues, he apparently doesn’t realize that this would NEVER happen. Greenwich, Connecticut is 25 miles from Yankee Stadium and many of the Yankees wealthiest fans live in Connecticut. The Yankees would allow a team to move to Brooklyn before they let a team take Connecticut. [NY Post]
- Marc Topkin writes about what Sunday’s game did for Sean Rodriguez’ confidence…Also, the Rays will likely face 6 lefties during this 9-game road trip. [St. Pete Times]
- Joe Smith writes about Reid Brignac’s transition to most-days big league second baseman. [St. Pete Times]
- Tony Fabrizio writes about Ben Zobrist’s surprising lack of power. [Tampa Tribune]
- Aki Iwamura is off to a rough start in Pittsburgh. [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
- The Rays sit atop What If Sports power rankings which uses a simulation engine to play out the remainder of the season. [What If Sports]
- The Rays are also on top of Phil Rogers’ latest power ranking. [Chicago Tribune]
- Chris Richard set up his own fan page on Facebook. [Facebook]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out “The Rundown” from Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Jeremy Hellickson improved to 5-0 with 2 runs allowed in 7 innings. he allowed 4 hits and no walks while striking out 8. After giving up a lead-off home run, he retired 19 of the next 20 batters he faced…Joe Dillong hit his 3rd home run and Fernando Perez hit his first, a 3-run shot…Hank Blalock was 2-5 and is hitting .347 early on.
- MONTGOMERY: In the second game of a double-header, Darin Downs allowed just 1 hit, 2 walks and a hit batter in 6 shutout innings. He struck out 5. It was just his second start, but he now has 23 strikeouts and just 5 walks in 23.0 innings this season…Cody Cipriano hit his first home run of the season in game 1.
- CHARLOTTE: Frank De Los Santos gave up 2 runs in 7 innings, striking out 9 and walking 2…Jake Jefferies had a triple and 2 RBI.
- BOWLING GREEN: Wilking Rodriguez gave up 3 runs in 5 innings on 8 hits and a walk. He struck out 2…Brett Nommensen hit a 3-run home run, his first of the season.