The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Carlos Pena. In an otherwise anemic night offensively, Pena continues to show he is on the upswing hitting his 8th home run and 3rd in 5 games.
THE BAD: Wade Davis. For the second consecutive game, a Rays starter allowed the opposition to bat around in an inning as the Red Sox scored 3 in the third. Big Dub needed 40 pitches to get through the third and he was out of the game after 3.2 innings. Outside of Jeff Niemann’s injury-shortened start, this was the first time a Rays starter did not work at least 5 innings…David Ortiz. We really wish Big Papi would have listened to Red Sox fans and retired in April.
THE TELLING: Of the 7 starts in which a Rays starter failed to work into the 6th inning, 4 have been by Wade Davis…John Jaso moved to the 5th spot in the lineup with Carlos Pena and BJ Upton dropped to 7th and 8th…Matt Joyce made his first start with a glove during his rehab assignment. He started in right field last night and it sounds like the Rays want to accelerate his rehab. But where will Joyce go once his rehab assignment ends? We have to think he will be assigned to Durham at least for the foreseeable future.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 32-13 and lead the Yankees by 5.5 games in the East and lead the Blue Jays and Tigers by 6.5 games in the Wild Card. After 45 games in 2008, the Rays were 26-19.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- We have a bunch of stuff in the queue, so be sure to check back early and often today.
- Andrew Friedman told ESPN that Carl Crawford will not be traded this season. [Sporting News]
- BJ Upton filmed a commercial yesterday for Adidas and the upcoming World Cup. Upton provided us with some pictures. [Twitter]
- One writer calls Carl Crawford the most overrated hitter in baseball. [Chicago Tribune]
- Remember that myth about how the Rays are only good because of all the high draft picks? The one we have debunked more than once? Well he is more proof that the myth holds no water. [MLB]
- Baseball Daily Digest argues that the Rays pitchers have been lucky so far…You are going to see a lot of stories like this in the near-future. To predict that a team on pace to win 115 games is going to slow down is an easy prediction to make (thanks Thad). [Baseball Daily Digest]
- The Hardball Times revisits the trade that brought Scott Kazmir to the Rays. [The Hardball Times]
- Here is your chance to jump on the MFIKY bandwagon. [RaysRev.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out “The Rundown” from Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Jeremy Hellickson was perfect for 6 innings and carried a no-hitter into the 8th. He finished with 1 hit allowed and 1 walk in 8 innings with 5 Ks. He is 7-2 with a 2.79 ERA…Winston Abreu struck out all 3 batters in the 9th for his 3rd save…Ryan Shealy had 1 of the Bulls’ 3 hits, his 8th home run.
- MONTGOMERY: (postponed)
- CHARLOTTE: Nick Barnese gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in 6 innings, raising his ERA to 4.01. He struck out 6 and walked 1…Tim Beckham had 2 more hits and a walk, raising his average to .217. He has 13 hits in the last 6 games. He did commit his 8th error. Matt Joyce started in right field for the first time on his rehab assignment and walked 3 times.
- BOWLING GREEN: Aaron Dott making just his second start threw 5 shutout innings, striking out 6 and walking none…Christopher Murrill had a pair of doubles and now has 17 hits in the last 10 games. He is hitting .349.